TDI - The fraud that was and still is...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDI - The fraud that was and still continues to be.

Hello to all my fellow Audi TDI owners out there. I started this new thread to hopefully consolidate this discussion for all us Audi TDI owners affected by this fraud committed against us. It appears now that we are a couple of months away from some sort of settlement offer. With that possibly on the horizon, I thought it would be a good idea for all of us to have a single thread, starting with this one, so we can voice our concerns and fortify our alliance into one single voice as we get closer to understanding the details as to how VW/Audi will make this right with all of us.

Some of you I know have been following the news closely and I would like to welcome you all to post your opinions and/or concerns about this situation so we all can learn and be more informed as one consolidated group of about 85,000 strong. We are the minority of the total as evidence that most of the news doesn't seem to mention Audi much.

I will start this discussion by stating I absolutely love my car. I drive about 500 miles per week so my decision to purchase a diesel primarily was for the range I could get between fill-ups. I regularly drive 650-700 miles between fill-ups and I just love that. For a car that weighs almost 4,300lbs I am just amazed at this fuel economy. On top of that of course is its performance. The low end torque is phenomenal and the 5-star safety rating are just a few reasons I went this way. I would admit also that the "Clean Diesel" moniker just wasn't a big driver for me in my decision process. With that said, I am deeply concerned, as with most of us, about the fraud that took place. Regardless of their reasons, the plain truth is we were all sold something that was not true and they knew it at many levels corporately.

Audi/VW needs to make it right with us whether we want to keep our cars/SUV's or not. I plan to keep mine but Audi better come up with something better than a gift card and roadside service. I would also add that if the plan is to "Fix" our TDI's with some magic pixy dust, then they better not fuss with the performance at all. I advocate we should not accept any reduction in performance!

Thanks everyone. I look forward to a spirited discussion.

I added this report about more senior level changes at Porsche. A 3.0L "fix" may not be in our future anytime soon.

Suspended R&D boss at VW's Porsche quits | Reuters

Last edited by Transporter208; 05-26-2016 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found this today and it sheds some insight as to how a buyback might work. Not as generous a package as some may want.

http://http://www.greencarreports.co...-used-vehicles
Old 05-05-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is encouraging. Apparently Audi developed an "Acoustic" version of the cheating software, which they never used on production vehicles, because they didn't want our Diesels to sound like a diesel at idle. From this article from inside sources it may be that Audi just might be in the clear after all. VW diesel 'defeat' software built by Audi, which never used it
Old 05-10-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I understand that we may find out soon what the 3.0L fix will be. Inside sources said today that VW/Audi has come up with a new Catalytic converter to bring us all within the EPA guidelines. This is the spy photo of the prototype.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like VW is getting their cart ahead of the horse. They may be a little too optimistic thinking about putting this scandal behind anytime soon to make way to introducing "green" cars to the U.S. market. Something tells me that will go over like a lead balloon to at least 500,000 of us left out in the cold with only a $500 gift card to show for it. Get a clue VW. Your a long ways away from winning over the public trust. Put your efforts into making it right with the consumers first before thinking about bringing EV cars/SUV's to the U.S. market. VW eyes U.S. emissions deal as it pushes comeback plans: Stackmann - Business Insider
Old 05-12-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

So they made a mistake with TDI. It's up to the EPA to decide what fix is acceptable. No one died. You still have a car that has good power and get's good mileage. Why shouldn't VAG continue to develop and bring to market hybrids and EV's? What does it have to do the with TDI issue? When it really comes down to it many manufacturers have been producing cars that in the real word produce much higher emissions than they are supposed to. They have simply done it in a way that is not illegal. The end result is the same.

Volkswagen: All car companies cheat on emissions tests?it?s just that most do it legally ? Quartz
Old 05-12-2016, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

^"So they made a mistake with TDI" Your right about one thing, no one died but it is much more than a "mistake".
Old 05-24-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

It would appear that the US and VW are making "substantial" progress. Still no word on a 3.0L solution though. "... still being tested."

Volkswagen, U.S. make substantial progress toward final deal: judge | Reuters
Old 05-26-2016, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

If this is true and VW is truly hanging their hat on this as a defense then I think we are in for a long wait before this gets resolved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/bu...ndal.html?_r=0
Old 06-09-2016, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Getting to the June 21st. is taking forever. Nothing from Germany but smoking mirrors, not even an insider leak as to what the hell is going to happen. Thanks Audi for keeping us in the loop and keeping us all to speculate!. I need tires badly too (pushing 40k on PZeros) but I don't want to replace until I know what the resolution is going to be. No sense putting the money into higher end tires if Audi ends up taking the car back. I assume others are in the same boat.

Quick Reply: TDI - The fraud that was and still is...