TDI - The fraud that was and still is...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume this is a possible precursor to what might be in store for those of us with 3.0's. Yikes.

Reuters - VW fix for Audi Q5 does not cut emissions, EU consumer group says
Old 07-07-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoahWeb
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...r-u-s-vehicles

My read of this is that there is unlikely to be compensation for 3.0 TDI owners, no buy-back, and (so-says-VW) a fix that will not affect performance. I would also wager that Audi/VW will continue to sell 3.0 TDI's to re-build a TDI base for a few model years, then re-introduce the 2.0 TDI slowly.

Wonder if I'll be able to find a stop-sale A8 TDI for cheap once the ban on sales is lifted? Dealers must have TDI inventory just sitting there, or pushed into loaner duties.
Just picked up a Q7 TDi CHEAP.

They can't sell them as CPO or New, but nothing says they can't sell it as Used... $10k below book.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stoliguy
Just picked up a Q7 TDi CHEAP.

They can't sell them as CPO or New, but nothing says they can't sell it as Used... $10k below book.
Just reading up on this myself as I'm looking at buying a car. It seems that the compensation is based around CPO / new or not. My understanding of the situation is that buying now means that the compensation would 100% go to the dealer and that the fix if we chose to apply it would be done for free.

What I'm thinking tbh is that you can get a new 2016 TDI for cheap once they are allowed to sell them again - though I wouldn't get one that's been sitting around the lots for the last year, but order a new one.

I bet the deals will be spectacular!
Old 07-18-2016, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Buyer beware. This is not like Saturn or Humvee going out of business. You could buy a vehicle that in some states will not be allowed to run on the road. I love my TDI but I would not recommend it to anyone until VW fixes the issue to the satisfaction of the regulators. If you get a good enough deal then maybe it is worth the gamble, but it will be a gamble at this point. Everything VW claimed at the beginning is turning out to be technical spins and half truths. I was told that my A3 only needed a simple software fix and I would be good to go. That turned out to be a lie.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found this comment today in the WSJ interesting. It seems the folks in NY have found additional cover ups at VW.

"... As Audi engineers in Germany developed a three-liter engine for the U.S. market for luxury vehicles, they again adapted the software to avoid equipping the cars with larger tanks to store some emissions fluid, the lawsuit said..."

The full article:

VW Emissions Cheating Was Prolonged, Widespread, Lawsuit Alleges - WSJ

Last edited by Transporter208; 07-19-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi USA website Info on 3.0 TDI

I can no longer find any information on the audiusa website about the status of the 3.0TDI or the 2.0TDI legal process or fixes. Does anyone know where it is or what happened?
Old 07-20-2016, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I actually noticed yesterday that AUDIUSA.COM has a new "TDI SETTLEMENT" button on their main home page. If you click it redirects you to boiler plate BS so there is nothing really new being reported but it is a sign that this might be the connection point we'll all have to use in order to register for any future "settlement" coming our way.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well this is a new one. Defeat software was initially developed to reduce diesel noise. Really?

Volkswagen Defeat Device Developed by Audi -- TDI Emissions-Cheating Acoustic Function
Old 07-29-2016, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So there are some important updates. The judge has accepted the settlement so now it has to go through a review to make sure that nothing else comes up before a final judgement is put into place. No date on this but I am hearing October time frame.

A few interesting things. If you sell you car after June 26th then you get nothing. If you buy one after June 26th you get nothing other than maybe a fix. All the cars the buy can not be sold in the US ever. They must try and get 85% of the TDI cars off the road. So they are going to have to get these things off the road or they breach the settlement.

They supposedly had a fix for the v6 TDI and the fix was rejected. Honestly I am not sure they can fix it at this point.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

This Car and Driver article lays out hypothetical payouts for the 2.0 guys which should give us a feel for what the 3.0's will get adjusted for the increased value. On the surface it looks encouraging but what is missing are the details in which the "clean" value is determined. The dealers most likely will be the ones who will be put in charge of judging the value of the car which the settlement amount will be determined. Mileage is a pretty straight forward variable but "clean" value is completely subjective based on very loose guidelines. I would ask if anyone out there is concerned about that? I mean has anyone felt they have gotten a "fair" appraisal from a dealer? I doubt it. And because the dealer in reality represents the manufacturer, does anyone think this might be a conflict of interest? It will be interesting to see once the payouts and buybacks start for the 2.0 guys, if the compensation lines up with their expectations. My bet is it won't even come close.

If You Own a 2.0L VW Diesel Car, Here's How Much Money You Can Expect ? News ?*Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Last edited by Transporter208; 07-31-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Quick Reply: TDI - The fraud that was and still is...