TDI - The fraud that was and still is...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I was so looking forward to the 21st. It appears now the 28th. is the new date. Of course there is no mention of a 3.0L solution but we can be at least hopeful.

Attorneys in Volkswagen Scandal Get More Time to Reach Deal - ABC News
Old 06-20-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Fresh new "insider" information that might allow us to continue to drive as we are without being required to get the "fix". Unfortunately many questions/details still remain.

VW Said Ready With $10 Billion Diesel Plan, to Devise Fix Later - Bloomberg
Old 06-22-2016, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

So this makes me not so very confident that any potential "fix" for us isn't going to be worth the paper the recall notice is written on. If VW is no longer promoting any further development of their diesel drivetrains, any fix they offer us will not have any confidence behind it. The only bright side I see is if VW/Audi elect not to offer diesels anymore, those of us stuck with them now become limited additions which may actually improve our resell values, provided we don't let them reflash them. LOL

Forbes Welcome
Old 06-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Transporter208
The only bright side I see is if VW/Audi elect not to offer diesels anymore, those of us stuck with them now become limited additions which may actually improve our resell values, provided we don't let them reflash them.
If VWoA and/or Audi of America buy back some TDIs, that will shrink the supply of remaining ones in the used car marketplace. That should solidify prices for 2009 and later models, and maybe even older ones.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just released.
VW Said to Pay Diesel Owners Up to $7,000, Fund Clean-Air Grants - Bloomberg

I have to assume this is accurate and will be the offer we see on the 28th for the 2.0 guys. Still no plan for the 3.0L but my assumption is it will be similar if not the same. I guess this takes the "buy back" option some of us (not me) were counting on off the table.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just reading between the lines here but it appears that the 3.0L owners will be at the end of this so called settlement deal which may reduce our compensation because they all have tentatively agreed to a maximum payout. So in other words, if all the 2.0L guys take this buyback plus compensation there will be less money to divvy out to the 3.0L guys. Another thing I am reading in here is that by comparison there are far less 3.0L owners involved in this as compared to the 2.0's thus VW can decide to basically screw us without too much risk of ruining their profitable higher end brands, Porsche and Audi. Less people to complain I suppose as compared to those pesky VW Jetta guys out there. Good thing Audi is giving us at least another month or so to mull this over and speculate.

Volkswagen's U.S. diesel emissions settlement to cost $15 billion: sources | Reuters
Old 06-28-2016, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

It looks like we are in for the long haul...

U.S. files Volkswagen settlement, details buybacks | Reuters
Old 06-28-2016, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just in. We 3.0L's should expect something like this whenever they get to us. Very interesting.
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/
Old 06-30-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...r-u-s-vehicles

SAN FRANCISCO/WASHINGTON -- A lawyer for Volkswagen AG said Thursday during a court hearing the German automaker believes it can fix 85,000 polluting 3.0-liter VW, Audi and Porsche diesel cars and SUVs, a move that could help the company avoid a second pricey buyback.

Separately, a Justice Department lawyer, Joshua Van Eaton, said talks and tests were being conducted to resolve the fate of those vehicles, which could take months to rectify.

At the hearing, U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer did not set a formal deadline to fix those vehicles, but set an Aug. 25 status hearing to get an update.

Earlier this week, VW agreed to spend up to $10.033 billion to buy back 475,000 2.0-liter diesel cars that emit up to 40 times the allowed level of pollution, and fix them if regulators approve it. VW also agreed to spend $4.7 billion on zero-emission vehicle efforts and diesel offset programs and $603 million to settle lawsuits with 44 U.S. states.

If VW were required to buy back the larger, more expensive 3.0-liter vehicles, it could add billions to its costs.

VW lawyer Robert Giuffra said the automaker believed the 3.0-liter vehicles were fixable and that the fix will not be "complicated" or negatively impact the vehicles' performance.

The testing is to ensure the durability of the proposed fix, he said.

"The company believes that we can fix the 3.0-liter to the standards to which those cars were originally certified," Giuffra said.

Van Eaton said the talks were highly technical and it "takes time to be fully confident that whatever is being proposed is a technically sound solution."

Breyer will hold a July 26 hearing on the 2.0-liter agreements and could grant final approval to start buybacks early as October.

Different device

The 3.0-liter vehicles did not have the same "defeat device" that the 2.0-liter vehicles used but had undeclared auxiliary emissions-control devices that allowed them to emit up to 9 times the legally allowed level of pollution, much less than the 2.0-liter vehicles.

VW has been barred since November from selling new diesel 3.0-liter vehicles in the United States.

The vehicles at issue include diesel vehicles from the 2009-2016 model years, including the Volkswagen Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, Audi A6 and A7 Quattro, Audi A8 and Audi Q5 and Q7.
My read of this is that there is unlikely to be compensation for 3.0 TDI owners, no buy-back, and (so-says-VW) a fix that will not affect performance. I would also wager that Audi/VW will continue to sell 3.0 TDI's to re-build a TDI base for a few model years, then re-introduce the 2.0 TDI slowly.

Wonder if I'll be able to find a stop-sale A8 TDI for cheap once the ban on sales is lifted? Dealers must have TDI inventory just sitting there, or pushed into loaner duties.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Where is Audi in all of this? I love getting information second hand from VW lawyers and reporters. The way this article is reporting this story it's almost like VW is giddy about the fix which would take any form of a buyback off the table. All I can say is this so called fix better come with a guarantee (performance and longevity) and some money.

VW thinks it can fix 85,000 V-6 diesels from Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

Quick Reply: TDI - The fraud that was and still is...