TDI - The fraud that was and still is...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not holding my breath but Audi AG is saying a "settlement" for the 3.0L is moving closer. Here is the article posted this morning.

VW Could Reach a 'Final' U.S. Settlement By October, Says Audi Exec
Old 12-14-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Has anyone heard any updates on the status of the V6 TDI settlement/fix? The last Volkswagen/Audi official posting was from last month stating "positive steps" in their plan laid before the court. I though December was the month they were to announce the resolution plan for the V6 TDI owners?
Old 12-14-2016, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tomorrow (Friday 16th) morning is their next status meeting. We hopefully will have some direction afterwards. Stay tuned...

Last edited by Transporter208; 12-15-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There was an announcement of an official settlement being reached, but no details as yet.

"On December 20, 2016 we reached an agreement with U.S. environmental regulators, in the form of a proposed Consent Decree, to resolve civil claims regarding our affected 3.0L TDI V6 diesel engine vehicles in the United States ... We continue to work with regulators and government authorities to address outstanding issues as quickly as possible."

Under the terms of the proposed Consent Decree, Volkswagen has agreed to:

Recall approximately 63,000 affected 2013-2016 Model Year Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche 3.0L TDI V6 vehicles with so-called Generation 2 engines to bring them into compliance with the emissions standards to which they were certified, if appropriate modifications are approved by EPA and CARB. If Volkswagen is unable to meet this requirement, it will offer to buy back or terminate the leases of these vehicles and may also seek approval by EPA and CARB to offer customers a modification to substantially reduce their nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions.

Buy back or terminate the leases of approximately 20,000 affected 2009-2012 Model Year Volkswagen and Audi 3.0L TDI V6 vehicles with so-called Generation 1 engines or, if approved by EPA and CARB, modify the vehicles to substantially reduce their NOxemissions so as to allow eligible owners and lessees to keep them.

Contribute $225 million to the environmental remediation trust that is being established under Volkswagen’s 2.0L TDI settlements in the United States to fully mitigate the lifetime NOx emissions of the affected 3.0L TDI V6 vehicles.

As part of its agreement with the State of California, Volkswagen will also pay $25 million to CARB to support the use of zero emissions vehicles (ZEVs) in the State.

So the big question is which models/years have Generation 1 vs Generation 2 engines?

I have a late 2011 Touareg TDI and a 2016 A7 TDI. The A7 must have a 'Generation 2' so will get a SW fix ... but the 2011 Touareg is probably on the bubble. Given the Touareg is completely paid for and in fabulous condition, for me any "buy back" would have to be pretty damned attractive to justify the remaining delta cost I'd have to cough up to replace it with an 'equivalent' vehicle.

Last edited by dawgcasa; 12-21-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

VW to pay $1B in settlement with US government over V6 diesels - Autoblog

The settlement allows VW to recall over 75 percent of its cheating V6 diesels – about 63,000 units – and bring them into compliance. These represent newer VW Touaregs, Audi A6, A7, A8, Q5, and Q7s, and Porsche Cayennes built between 2013 and 2016. According to the company, the recall will bring these so-called Generation Two engines up to emissions specs, provided the EPA and CARB okay the modifications. Should the regulators say no to VW's tweaks, the company will buy back or terminate leases with the affected owners. For older V6 TDIs built between 2009 and 2012, Volkswagen will do broadly the same thing, only in reverse.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Per the official statement above, the third option, which I will call the "diesel hail mary", would propose to EPA/CARB a sort-of-close-fix that would be somewhat less than full compliance but close enough to allow current owners the option to keep their cars and possibly accept lower performance. Yes, I am reading between the lines here but Audi needs to have that option on the table so they are not forced to buyback all of these pricey polluters if they can't produce a viable fix that results in full compliance with no drop in performance.

Dawgcasa - I would have to believe your 2011 Toureg will be offered a buyback option.

Last edited by Transporter208; 12-21-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my reading of the court documents, it seems that for the A6 TDI's the suspense for Audi/VW to submit their proposed software "fix" is no later than 27-June, no earlier than 7-April. This must include details, both positive and negative, on how the software affects the vehicles overall performance, NVH, power/torque, fuel mileage, etc. It continues to provide great detail on Diesel-Particulate-Filter life and service. I suspect this will be the sticking point as the software "fix" will increase the AdBlue dosing, which will have a negative effect on the DPF service-life, but a positive effect on emissions. The question will then become is that negative effect sufficient for the EPA/CARB to invalidate the software "fix" thereby triggering a Gen II buy-back.

Oh, and there is no deadline for the EPA/CARB to certify the submission from Audi/VW. I'm sure it'll be a few months...in typical Gov't fashion.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I must admit it is taken a while to find this consolidated thread. I appreciate it - since there's parallel discussions going on in the Q5, Q7 and A6 threads.

My comment (or question) is whether the Goodwill card which expires 1/17 expires at the beginning of the month or the end of the month? I assume the card is good through the end of 1/17. I was hoping to use the funds to help with the purchase a new car but I'm not sure that that will happen in time. Therefore I am trying to figure out other ways of spending the goodwill cards?

Anybody know if you can purchase Audicare for an order car that just exited warranty? (my 2011 A4 is coming close to 40,000 miles...) could I use it to purchase Audi care for the next several servicing's.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

January 31, 2017 any updates out there?
Old 01-31-2017, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Nothing new that I have heard. 2011 Q7 here. Following discussion in Q7 and Q5 forums. Adding comment so that I can follow here.

Quick Reply: TDI - The fraud that was and still is...