TDI for the USA - MPG estimates

Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nearly every new TDI buyer reports gradually improving mileage during the break-in period, typically starting after about 3-5k miles and continuing till roughly the 20k-mile point.

So all the fuel mileage estimates, regardless whether the tests are run in the US, Canada, the UK or elsewhere, are very conservative. They only test new TDIs, and it is safe to predict that you will actually observe an additional 2 MPG after the break-in period.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TornadoRed
Nearly every new TDI buyer reports gradually improving mileage during the break-in period, typically starting after about 3-5k miles and continuing till roughly the 20k-mile point.

So all the fuel mileage estimates, regardless whether the tests are run in the US, Canada, the UK or elsewhere, are very conservative. They only test new TDIs, and it is safe to predict that you will actually observe an additional 2 MPG after the break-in period.
As a 10 years TDI driver, I can absolutely tell you that these engines take a while to brake in. When I say "a while" my last Jetta TDI took >60K to start getting regularly >40 mpgs. Unfortunately, it got totaled a month ago and while awaiting more Audi TDIs for US, I am driving a Q5 2.0 TFSI. It is a great car, but it's weird when I am used to visiting the gas station once in 3 weeks, now I can't go even a week without filling the tank.
Absolutely will love to have Audi A6 TDI, and if it could come as an Avant as well, it'll be awesome
Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tdifan
As a 10 years TDI driver, I can absolutely tell you that these engines take a while to brake in. When I say "a while" my last Jetta TDI took >60K to start getting regularly >40 mpgs. Unfortunately, it got totaled a month ago and while awaiting more Audi TDIs for US, I am driving a Q5 2.0 TFSI. It is a great car, but it's weird when I am used to visiting the gas station once in 3 weeks, now I can't go even a week without filling the tank.
Absolutely will love to have Audi A6 TDI, and if it could come as an Avant as well, it'll be awesome
I think A6 Allroad TDI would more interesting than A6 Avant, but these TDI models could be not available in USA.
I'm 4 years TDI driver and I can tell that next my car will be TDI only. My mileage more 37000 miles per year and I see real cost saving relative to petrol engine usage!

Last edited by Romario; 01-29-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Romario, you probably will get the D6 before us
Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Romario, you probably will get the D6 before us
....ooops, A6
Old 01-22-2011, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

....ooops, A6
New A6 generation saling are started in January but available only one TDI engine - V6 3.0. Avant will available in summer. New Allroad will come next year only.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yes and No

Originally Posted by Romario
Very interesting to know - are the customers of USA starting to use Audi-TDI technology after last economical collapse?
There are a number of VW TDI owners that are moving up into the Audi line. I never owned a TDI until now and can't see going back. The motor feels so much more solid and the fuel economy B).

I have been tracking my consumption on;

But I do drive a little fast...
Old 01-29-2011, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by barvel
There are a number of VW TDI owners that are moving up into the Audi line. I never owned a TDI until now and can't see going back. The motor feels so much more solid and the fuel economy B).

I have been tracking my consumption on;

But I do drive a little fast...
Wow! I have seen next stage of manufacturers’ pursuit for working up a USA market again.
One benefit for everybody is more perfect and technological cars like, for example, TDI-technology.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default When will the Q5 TDI appear on US shores?

All reports are that the Q5 is a great compact SUV. With the kids all grown up I'm looking do downsize a bit from my 8-passenger full sized SUV to something versatile for the wife and I to head to the mountains, etc., but with marked improvement in fuel efficiency without having to sacrifice too much on torque and performance. Seems to me that the Q5 TDI would be a perfect fit ... yet Audi currently only offers the TDI in the Q7 SUV. I really don't need or want another 'big' SUV given I'm not acting as a kid bus driver anymore. Unfortunately, it looks like Audi is bringing the Q5 Hybrid to the USA ahead of the TDI (available in Europe) ... which I'm sure will carry the typical inflated and uneconomical hybrid price premium, and it's not clear if Audi will ever bring the Q5 TDI over the pond.

That'd be a real shame ... the Q5 TDI is a great tradeoff of fuel economy, power, and with more moderate cost differential between the gas engined versions TDI so that you can actually hope to make up the cost difference in MSRP through the fuel savings in a reasonable lifetime (unlike many hybrids where you'd have to drive them for 10 yrs + just to get to break even).

Any credible sources on if and when a Q5 TDI might be available in the US?
Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Romario
New A6 generation saling are started in January but available only one TDI engine - V6 3.0. Avant will available in summer. New Allroad will come next year only.
Are you saying I can order a 2012 A6 with the 3.0 TDI in the States starting in January?

That would be perfect for me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TDI for the USA - MPG estimates