Warning Light Question - Glow Plug/Loss of Power

Old 11-08-2011, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning Light Question - Glow Plug/Loss of Power

2011 Q7 TDI I am new to the forum please excuse the post if this has been discussed before.

My glow plug warning light came on this afternoon of course while I was on the interstate far from home. Fortunately I was able to reach the dealership service department with hopes that they could tell me if my situation was critical or if i could make the hour that i had left on the road. I described the icon, including the color, where it was located on the tachometer, that it was flashing and that i was experincing a loss of power. After MANY minutes on the phone they still could not tell me that it was even the glow plug warning light! Just kept saying "I really cant figure out what it would be". I looked it up in 1 minute right after i got home in my owner's manual. I scheduled to take it in first thing in the morning but now i am worried about the quality of service that I might get. Is there some specifics that I can speak of that will ensure that this problem is taken care of? thanks for the input
Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any news?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My wife just had the same thing happen to her 2011 tdi. Glow plug came on, loss of power. She said she floored the accelerator but could only get it up to 40 mph. Soon after, no more warnings and car drove fine Did you get a satisfactory resolution from the dealer? Our Q is at the dealer now and we're thinking they'll tell us nothing is wrong with the car.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same issue today. 2010 TDI S line 30K. Glow plug light flashing and check engine light stays illuminated.Loss of power. Car at Dealer
Old 06-02-2012, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, i have a 2008 3.0l tdi with the same problem. anyone find out what it is?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default loss of power

Hi, i have a 2008 3.0l tdi with the same problem. Anyone find out what it is?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default AUDI Q7 loss of power

Have my problem more or less solved. I had a leak in my coolant system.It was passing coolant through my turbo which had clogged up the veins. Got the turbo cleaned out and reconditioned not realising the coolant leak at this stage. reinstalled the turbo. It ran ok for a few days.Then had an intermitant problem where glow plug light came on and loss of power again. If i pulled over turned off the ignition and restarted car it ran fine for a while. Then my coolant warning light came on. This was the first time this happened. I put around a litre of water in and drove around 50 miles. coolant light came on again. dropped it back to my mechanic. he realised that the turbo was again clogged. He fixed coolant leak. and cleaned turbo again. Still intermitant glowplug light ,engine light and loss of power. He realised the motor on the actuator was weak. Probably due to over working the rod on a clogged turbo. Got new motor. problem solved. Only thing now is the engine occasionally skips a beat on the motorway when coasting along at around 60 to 70miles an hour with very little power applied. my mechanic reckons its a dirty oxygen sensor caused by the coolant leak. He has ordered special cleaner for this and will be cleaning this week to see if it works.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KarenP
2011 Q7 TDI I am new to the forum please excuse the post if this has been discussed before.

My glow plug warning light came on this afternoon of course while I was on the interstate far from home. Fortunately I was able to reach the dealership service department with hopes that they could tell me if my situation was critical or if i could make the hour that i had left on the road. I described the icon, including the color, where it was located on the tachometer, that it was flashing and that i was experincing a loss of power. After MANY minutes on the phone they still could not tell me that it was even the glow plug warning light! Just kept saying "I really cant figure out what it would be". I looked it up in 1 minute right after i got home in my owner's manual. I scheduled to take it in first thing in the morning but now i am worried about the quality of service that I might get. Is there some specifics that I can speak of that will ensure that this problem is taken care of? thanks for the input
I had this problem with my '11 Q7 TDI. Took it to the dealer, (under warranty). They stated that I got some "bad fuel" and there were evidence of rust in the fuel line but not from the car. Large number of parts were ordered and replaced. Nothing but trouble since. Now Ad-Blue sensor is active and engine light is on again. They are stating it is a sensor issue stemming from the "bad fuel". By the way I only put Shell Diesel in the car since our grocer gives $0.10+ per gallon. I have contacted Audi USA and spoke with a Customer Advocate, 1-800-822-AUDI (2834). If you have not contacted Audi USA, do so. They need to know this is a global issue not user error or fluke.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Have you had part # 059906051A replaced and did they do the update on the differential pressure sensor/ECM update - action number 23L2?

Your dealer will know if you give them your VIN.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default We just had the same problem - any answers?

Hi, i have a 2008 3.0l tdi with the same problem. Anyone find out what it is?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warning Light Question - Glow Plug/Loss of Power