What does these really mean and do I care?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does these really mean and do I care?

VW could face a massive fine for dodging clean-air standards - Business Insider

I just found this article. I live in a state that has no use for the environment so we do not test for emissions. Would fixing this hurt me in a bad way? I am sure VW would not have went through the effort if there was nothing to it, so it worries me.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chapindad
VW could face a massive fine for dodging clean-air standards - Business Insider

I just found this article. I live in a state that has no use for the environment so we do not test for emissions. Would fixing this hurt me in a bad way? I am sure VW would not have went through the effort if there was nothing to it, so it worries me.
With as many lawyers as VWoA has on its payroll, someone really ought to have looked at what someone was allegedly said about the test procedures, before they went public.

I don't think this affects individual owners at all. But both EPA and CARB are anti-diesel and seem out to punish VAG for having the temerity to promote diesel technology. They created a set of standards that were nearly impossible to meet; VAG did an incredible job to produce clean diesels that meet those standards; and now EPA and CARB are trying to claim that VAG really didn't. They are jumping on what they call an admission of guilt, but it seems more like a criticism of the test procedures. Anyone who has ever had to get a car smog-tested knows what I'm talking about.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I note that only the 2 liter engines were affected and not the 3.0 liter ones. Here is the discussion over at Fred's Official: Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs triggers massive recall - TDIClub Forums

There is a lot of detail there. The only Audi's affected are 2010 - 2015 A3. None of the Audis with the 3 liter engine are subject to the recall.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After further investigation, it appears that the EPA official misspoke.

Instead of the TDI engines emitting "40 times more NOx" she should have said "10% to 40% more."
Old 09-24-2015, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is a huge difference!
Old 09-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Every other source continues to say 10 to 40 times more NOx. But this is from a small sample, so it's not clear how much a typical common-rail TDI exceeds the EPA limit during high-load conditions.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found this on the UK Audi website and wondered what other folks thought. I got a clean bill of health for my '14Q5TDI

"http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/emissions/check-your-car.html"
Old 10-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So this is what I think I have figured out so far with this mess. The EA189 TDI engine is the one at the heart of all the problems. VW choose not to use the AdBlue product on those engines because of trying to keep the cost of the engine down. In 2015 they changed to the EA288 motor and it added the AdBlue to the engine. BMW and Mercedes have had the AdBlue for all their motors and they passed without issue. So I believe that anyone with the EA288 motor is probably good to go once the fix is issued for the EA189 motor. I have no inside knowledge. I just got my TDI 2 months ago but I have been doing a lot of reading and talking to TDI gear heads, so I feel pretty good about what I think I understand at this point.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Your Diesel with Ad blue

Originally Posted by chapindad
So this is what I think I have figured out so far with this mess. The EA189 TDI engine is the one at the heart of all the problems. VW choose not to use the AdBlue product on those engines because of trying to keep the cost of the engine down. In 2015 they changed to the EA288 motor and it added the AdBlue to the engine. BMW and Mercedes have had the AdBlue for all their motors and they passed without issue. So I believe that anyone with the EA288 motor is probably good to go once the fix is issued for the EA189 motor. I have no inside knowledge. I just got my TDI 2 months ago but I have been doing a lot of reading and talking to TDI gear heads, so I feel pretty good about what I think I understand at this point.
Have you compared your mpg and performance with owners of the EA189 engine?
Old 10-13-2015, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have not, being that I am new to the Audi and the TDI, but I get about 40-48MPG depending on my diving. I think I remember people claiming upper 50s on the EA189. Someone on here can fact check me.

Quick Reply: What does these really mean and do I care?