TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2001 Audi TT - Battery Drain - Trip and Clock resetting..IDEAS???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Audi TT - Battery Drain - Trip and Clock resetting..IDEAS???

Hi everyone... I need help!

I have a 2001 audi tt coupe, 1.8 turbo.

Symptoms are: After care is shut off, the trip odometer and clock reset back to zero and the date resets back to when the car was made in 2001. Also the car is suffering battery drain to the point that not enough juice is left to start without a jumpstart. Wierd things have happened like the radio still on 10-15 minutes after the car has been shut off.

What I have checked and done is the following. Replaced the battery. Did a alternator check and the voltage is fine even when all the power options are on full. I also did a parasitic diagnosis and came up with nothing.

Any ideas on this cars demons?????

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by digixp

Symptoms are: After care is shut off, the trip odometer and clock reset back to zero and the date resets back to when the car was made in 2001. Also the car is suffering battery drain to the point that not enough juice is left to start without a jumpstart. Wierd things have happened like the radio still on 10-15 minutes after the car has been shut off.

What I have checked and done is the following. Replaced the battery. Did a alternator check and the voltage is fine even when all the power options are on full. I also did a parasitic diagnosis and came up with nothing.

Thanks a lot!
After you remove the key the radio should only come on if you turn it off and back on. It will then run for 1 hour without the key.

If it doesn't do that check the ignition switch, common failure. Pull the fuse for the radio and Bose amp.

Check to see if brake lights are on permanently. The lights can stay on if the brake switch fails even with the ignition off.The switches are junk, it's a common failure. Replace with the older Rev A switch, not the newer "self adjustable" one .

Last edited by AudiMick; 10-30-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2001 Audi TT - Battery Drain - Trip and Clock resetting..IDEAS???

Thanks for the reply. I will check out these possible failures.

Originally Posted by AudiMick
After you remove the key the radio should only come on if you turn it off and back on. It will then run for 1 hour without the key.

If it doesn't do that check the ignition switch, common failure. Pull the fuse for the radio and Bose amp.

Check to see if brake lights are on permanently. The lights can stay on if the brake switch fails even with the ignition off.The switches are junk, it's a common failure. Replace with the older Rev A switch, not the newer "self adjustable" one .
Old 11-01-2012, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Still looking for answers. Radio and brakes check out ok. Thanks anyhow!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by digixp

Thanks a lot!
Has anyone found the issue, I have a 2001 TT with the exact same issue. 4-5 days of not using the car and it would start. New Battery and left a DVM on it for about an hour with no visible drain noticed.