TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2001 Audi TT Problems: Transmission, radiator fan, everything now

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Audi TT Problems: Transmission, radiator fan, everything now

I'll start with a a little background. 2001 Audi TT Quattro 180 5-speed 100k miles

Car running, driving, sounding perfect. Has miltek exhaust, diverter valve, no cat. AC no work

I read end someone going 10mph , breaks bumper, ac condenser, bumper core, front mount, and dents fender.

I fix these problems. (ehh)

Radiator doesn't quiet go back how it should, on secureness, keep in mind.

When car sits at idle for longer then 5 minutes the (smaller) fan on the left spins continuously, makes loud noise and won't stop on it own.

I drive it anyway and just don't let it sit and idle as it will not do this while driving.

Few days later- Driving on highway when I notice a faint grinding noise when I step on the gas pedal with moderate pressure. Gets worse very quick. Now loud grinding noise. Quickly turn around and go home. Haven't drove it in a few days. What is this problem?

Details on problem above^^^: ONLY when in gear. ONLY when giving it gas. IMMEDIATELY goes away when you get off the gas. Happens in EVERY gear. It stays in gear but doesn't seem to give the car as much power as previously. Sounds like it coming from transmission. While out of gear it makes zero abnormal noises when giving it gas. The noise does not change when pressing in clutch and there is nothing abnormal about how the clutch normally operates, smooth and nice. HELP ME
Old 10-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously. Any insight on this will help.

Seriously. If anyone has any insight on this please help. ANY
Old 10-22-2016, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Impossible to troubleshoot via internet. Take to a qualified shop/dealer if you cannot do it on your own.

It is likely you have multiple problems causing this.

No outside shop will attempt repairs leaving things "not secured". every piece of the vehicle that is cracked or bent needs to be corrected.

I personally do not keep collision insurance on vehicles over 5-7 years old. That said, many Audi's that are involved in "minor" front-end collisions are considered totaled.

Don't be alarmed if you are mechanically inclined and have time & money. Everything can be repaired. A spare car is essential for typical older Audi owners though.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Check the driverside engine mount. Top of the transmission. If it is loose or broken it will drop the engine under acceleration and the half shaft on that side will rub. It's a wild guess but check it. It happened to me after an engine swap.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

There should be marks on the shaft like a ring. Good call it's a decent hit on the engine mounts if they aren't so hot.

Volvo V70R's driveshaft would get rubbed on by the exhaust in certain situations. I had one car the shaft was sooo grooved the PO must been deaf.

PS: Put the CAT back on. Stinky polluting exhaust.