TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2001 Front Wheel Drive Manual Transmission Fluid Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Front Wheel Drive Manual Transmission Fluid Change Question

I recently acquired A 2001 MK1 TT with a five speed transmission, and typically change all the fluids when I get a new used car. My first question is does anyone have a recommendation as to which fluid works best for these temperamental beauties? I typically buy Mobil1 and am leaning towards the fully synthetic 75-90, would this be a good idea, or does anyone have a suggestion as to a better fluid. Also, based on my research it will require a 17mm hex and a large triple-square bit, which I have, my confusion is in trying to locate the fill plug, it does not exist right in front of the drivers side cv axle as it appears to in the pictures I have found on these forums. Can anyone give me some guidance as to where it might be located?

Lastly, and perhaps most concerning, I was poking around and cleaning the engine bay and removed the air box, and noticed that it appears to have a hole in the top of the transmission, right where the transmission connects to the engine block, allowing you to look in and see the top teeth on the flywheel. Is this normal? Or is this vehicle missing a plug or cap that should be there?

I'm an experienced mechanic, but this is my first foray into the TT world and appreciate any guidance you can offer.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a new to me TT, but have not touched it. My experiences are from two A4s with the 1.8t that I have / had. All have / had manuals.

I would use Audi fluid. I have had bad experience with aftermarket on a Getrag 5 speed transmission years ago. It is a little more, but you know what you are getting and that it works properly with the Audi manuals. My 2 cents.

As far as the "hole", that has bounced around the A4 forum a lot. Noting that on the A4, the engine is installed "correctly" (longitudinal ) the "hole" is on the drivers side of the bell housing, so assume it is on the front side of the transmission on the TT. Since all that have responded have the "hole", the conclusion is it is normal. Assume that on some cars with other equipment, there is a hall sensor or something like that installed there.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for taking the time to reply lyleswk. I'll go ahead and get the Audi Fluid and run with that. Also, thank you for putting my mind at rest about the "hole", that is exactly where it is located.

In regards to the fill plug, do you have any thoughts as to why I'm having a hard time locating it? It should be on the side of the pan, located just in front or behind the drivers side CV Axle, but for the life of me I can't find it. Any other thoughts?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine are all quattros with torsen units and don't think it makes a difference, but if you look the attached, you will see where it is on the A4. It is a little hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but it is on the driver's side of the front diff, so maybe front side on the TT, in a straight line above the drain? If you look at the picture of the drain plug, you may be able to orient yourself a little better.

Hope that helps...
Old 09-01-2015, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks again for the help lyleswk! I appreciate your taking the time to answer.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you find the fill or haven't looked yet?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for following up. I'm still at work. I'll take some time to look at it again this evening.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

good advise on using the audi fluid, safe bet for the trans. Its what I used on mine about 6 months ago. Shop around for pricing. My fill plug is on the drivers side front facing up a little high on the trans. The hole on the upper part of the trans where you can see the flywheel teeth is supposed to have a plug in it, see link below.

Audi TT MKI Quattro 225HP Drivetrain Manual Transmission - 02M301115B - Timing Hole Plug - ES#7678