TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2001 TT - alarm NiMh battery dead, where is it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 TT - alarm NiMh battery dead, where is it?

Hey all - I believe that my alarm system battery is dying. I'm in the USA with a TT roadster 2001.

Symptom: randomly (about 5 times a year at night, usually under damp condition), the alarm goes off with the car horn and emergency flashers going off. This will drain the main 12v battery if not resolved. I thought that I just needed to disconnect the alarm 'puck' located behind the driver side rear tail light. This was based on the UK forum where left/right are of course opposite. However, I removed both tail lights, no alarm 'puck' to be found. the folks on the UK forum thought it might be on the passenger side in the engine compartment, but that's not very helpful.

Any ideas?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is most likely the CCM (Central Control Module) If yours hasn't been replaced, it's about time for it. On the roadster convertible, it is located below the little access panel behind the passenger seat. This part will cost somewhere around $500 if you do the repair yourself. The glass on the convertible top is basically glued to the fabric. Over time it will develop a small leak. Not something you would ever notice. The water finds its way down to the CCM. Once little things stop working, it will snowball from there. It's not easy to get to but it can be done. For my car, the remotes quit working completely, then basically anything inside the car like power locks, windows, power to the convertible top...etc... They all stop working some or all together. It's not a matter of if... it's when yours will go out. Every car has different symptoms. I suppose it depends on which part of the circuit board has the most water leaking on it.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Mike - on the "other" forum, there is a well documented diagnosis and fix for this (reference this link The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - How to - MK1 Alarm Siren fix. In that thread, they talk extensively about replacing a relatively well known NiMh batter that is associated with the alarm system only (I think). In that thread, they point one to an area just behind the tail lights. The symptoms in that case are identical to mine. The CCM you refer to seems far more complex or is it the same do you think?

Originally Posted by Mikebuzz
It is most likely the CCM (Central Control Module) If yours hasn't been replaced, it's about time for it. On the roadster convertible, it is located below the little access panel behind the passenger seat. This part will cost somewhere around $500 if you do the repair yourself. The glass on the convertible top is basically glued to the fabric. Over time it will develop a small leak. Not something you would ever notice. The water finds its way down to the CCM. Once little things stop working, it will snowball from there. It's not easy to get to but it can be done. For my car, the remotes quit working completely, then basically anything inside the car like power locks, windows, power to the convertible top...etc... They all stop working some or all together. It's not a matter of if... it's when yours will go out. Every car has different symptoms. I suppose it depends on which part of the circuit board has the most water leaking on it.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking at the writeup you posted, it looks like all of the cars pictured are the coupe and not the convertible. That may be why you can't find it in your car. I could be completely wrong though.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Do you think...

Mike - do you think that the 'alarm buzzer module' they refer to is the same as the CCM you refer to? It doesn't seem like it because they just disconnect it or replace the battery... Do you know if this module exists anywhere inside a roadster TT and where I could possibly find it?

Originally Posted by Mikebuzz
Looking at the writeup you posted, it looks like all of the cars pictured are the coupe and not the convertible. That may be why you can't find it in your car. I could be completely wrong though.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've never heard of that module on the roadster, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have one. I just know that everything is connected to the CCM. Different people have different symptoms when it starts going out. And, its a totally different part than what they are describing and showing in the pictures. The CCM connects with 4-5 connections to a pretty large wiring harness. It's a pain in the a$$ to get out but I can walk you through it if that turns out to be the problem.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the biggest buzzkill of these forums is that so many people have had trouble with the CCM that everyone automatically thinks the CCM is basically responsible for every single electronic issue in the tt. It's not.

I've had a bad CCM and replaced it and his symptoms have nothing to do with the CCM. The alarm still works with a faulty CCM. The windows won't go up, but you can arm the car with the key.

And actually, the TT Roaster CCM is simple to remove with a trick. Remove the bolts that hold the rear of the top against the rubber seal in the back, with that done, you can ease the rear out and have complete unrestricted access to the CCM.But if you're going to fix the CCM, you might as well not waste your time until you replace the top. The leaky top was the cause of the CCM failure.

Last edited by hagakurejunkie; 04-28-2020 at 09:14 PM.