TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2002 Audi TT mk1 cruise control problem SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Audi TT mk1 cruise control problem SOLVED

I am posting how I was able to fix my cruise control because when my cruise control went out, I did not find any other people with my particular problem. I’m not sure if I looked hard enough but I made a profile in order to hopefully help someone else out in the future.
My issue was that suddenly one day my cruise control stopped working, it worked intermittently for about a week or so and then it completely stopped working. This all happened in about the first few weeks of winter, so I automatically assumed it may be some sort of electrical issue. My brake lights were functioning properly and all fuses that I could find looked perfect. I tried replacing my brake light pressure sensor with no luck. I read that older models than mine (older than 2002 i think?) have a cruise control module behind the glove box that goes bad (especially in cold-hot weather) but I was told mine is built into my computer so I didn’t bother looking for it.
After many hours of trouble shooting I found that the clutch pressure sensor had worn into my plastic clutch pedal. It had worn a dent into the pedal just enough so that it would not sense that the clutch was in the RESTING position (NOT depressed). If you take your lower dash panel off and stick your head under there it is the lower sensor on your clutch pedal. It has NO adjustments and has like a ball point end on it, I believe mine was blue. The small ball point had made probably a .05inch dent into the pedal which was all it took to not complete the circuit. Let me point out that there is another clutch sensor on the top half of the clutch pedal that is depressed when the clutch is fully pushed in. This is mostly used when starting your car I believe, and it was working fine. To solve this problem I bent a little piece of sheet metal around the clutch petal where the sensor touches it (where the dent was) and I duct taped it in place for a quick fix. I think later on I will epoxy a small plastic piece on there instead.

I do not have pictures but I may post some after fix it properly without duct tape haha
Old 02-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just a quick question. Did this prevent the cruise from coming on at all or just engaging? My cruise doesn't work and I don't have the module behind the glove box. Mine won't come on at all. I'm not even sure if a light is suppose to come on on the dash or not.

Thanks,
Buzz
Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for your reply! I guess i am not completely sure what you are asking, when i had this problem my cruise control would not engage at all. It would not hold the speed constant no mater how i played with it. NOW that it works, i can hit my cruise and it will work, no cruise light comes on for me (i know a cruise light is common in most cars) that indicates it is engaged and working. NO engine light code came on when it was NOT working ether.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to post or message me
Old 02-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply as well. My cruise does absolutely nothing. It hasn't worked since I bought the car. I was hoping there was a light on the dash that indicates the cruise is at least turned on but I suppose the MK1 doesn't have that. I suppose its time to purchase the service manual.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikebuzz
I suppose its time to purchase the service manual.
+1

And run a diagnostic scan with Ross Tech's VCDS software and the proper interface.

A lot of the stuff in the first post of this thread applies here as well:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-read-2877219/
Old 02-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Big thanks to WhiteOut69. Your post cured my cruise control. During the fix, I took pictures of every step. I will be typing and posting a tutorial tonight or tomorrow with step by step instructions.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Bump
Old 09-25-2016, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OAK...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-28-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

bump****