TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

2005 Audi TT - FOB key stopped working, need assistance on what to do next???

Old 03-26-2015, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Audi TT - FOB key stopped working, need assistance on what to do next???

Hello all -- OK, the other day I went out to unlock my car, the remote seemed to have died. I saw how to replace the battery on the inside and put in a fresh battery. THAT didn't work. I have read everywhere where sometimes your programming gets lost when you replace the battery, so I went ahead and tried the whole "put in ignition, press unlock" directions (for single key - I only have the one key, that's all I got when bought) and THAT didn't work...thing is, there is no light on this key so how do I know if it even still works??? I have read other places that you need TWO keys, so here is my question.

Can I purchase another Audi FOB key and go through the instructions again with the dead key in the ignition (because of the blade) and then go through the programming of the new key? Would that work at all? Or do I need to be absolutely sure the old key works?

It was weird because when I tried the putting the old key in the door programming, when I turned it to unlock and left it that way for a few seconds the window rolled down...

Any help would be great!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default My recollection

Originally Posted by dvlgrrl6
Hello all -- OK, the other day I went out to unlock my car, the remote seemed to have died. I saw how to replace the battery on the inside and put in a fresh battery. THAT didn't work. I have read everywhere where sometimes your programming gets lost when you replace the battery, so I went ahead and tried the whole "put in ignition, press unlock" directions (for single key - I only have the one key, that's all I got when bought) and THAT didn't work...thing is, there is no light on this key so how do I know if it even still works??? I have read other places that you need TWO keys, so here is my question.

Can I purchase another Audi FOB key and go through the instructions again with the dead key in the ignition (because of the blade) and then go through the programming of the new key? Would that work at all? Or do I need to be absolutely sure the old key works?

It was weird because when I tried the putting the old key in the door programming, when I turned it to unlock and left it that way for a few seconds the window rolled down...

Any help would be great!!!
It's been a while since I had a Mk I, but I never re-programmed the fob by putting it in the ignition. My manual said to put the key in the door, twist the key to lock the door, and then press the lock button on the fob.... or something similar to that sequence. Worked almost every time. There was one instance where I had to do something else. I think programming always gets lost when you replace the battery. Only one key is necessary to re-program, and if you reprogram one fob, the other is not effected.

The window roll you mention is due to the key in the lock and has nothing to do with the fob. Are you sure the battery polarity is correct?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - thanks for the reply -- I put in a CR 2032 battery, the same one as the one I took out -- I tried the door thing but I might have pressed the keys too many times and I read where that's a problem too...but I guess how to do I know the key is dead lol? I just don't want to go through and buy a new key for $60 and pay to program etc....everyone else seems to have luck doing it themselves lol...