TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Affordable Performance help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Affordable Performance help!

hey all, im new to the audi world and have a couple of questions. About 2 months ago I purchased my first manual car (2001 Audi TT Quattro 180) yes its a 180 lol. I found a great deal trading my 03 infiniti g35 sedan. Comparatively, I love the audi and don't regret getting it, but the performance is poor. Im looking for an affordable way to upgrade. I.E exhaust, air intake, chips etc. Any suggestions with links and maybe prices?
Hope to hear back from some of you
Keith
Old 08-12-2015, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm not big on modding, chipping, etc. Been a fan of stock pretty much, I have the 225 and its no slouch. I have heard the same from 180 owners as well. I would start by making sure it is in top mechanical/stock tuned condition first. That would be my starting point regardless of my intentions. You could easily need plugs, coil packs, mine had severe vacuum leaking when I first got it, runs great now, great on gas mileage. Go from there and be mindful that there is a lot of information on this forum, use the search function.

Good luck
Old 08-13-2015, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 03_AR_CO
I'm not big on modding, chipping, etc. Been a fan of stock pretty much, I have the 225 and its no slouch. I have heard the same from 180 owners as well. I would start by making sure it is in top mechanical/stock tuned condition first. That would be my starting point regardless of my intentions. You could easily need plugs, coil packs, mine had severe vacuum leaking when I first got it, runs great now, great on gas mileage. Go from there and be mindful that there is a lot of information on this forum, use the search function.

Good luck
My son has an '03 225 with a six speed stick. He has the Unitronic stage 1+ reflash. The acceleration and torque increase is really noticeable. Not to mention that he no longer has to see the tail lights of Chargers and Mustangs as the silly 130 or 135 mph speed limiter is gone.

It is a modification that is worth having performed, IMO. Basically European performance that Audi would rather not export to North America for liability reasons.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
My son has an '03 225 with a six speed stick. He has the Unitronic stage 1+ reflash. The acceleration and torque increase is really noticeable. Not to mention that he no longer has to see the tail lights of Chargers and Mustangs as the silly 130 or 135 mph speed limiter is gone.

It is a modification that is worth having performed, IMO. Basically European performance that Audi would rather not export to North America for liability reasons.
Did you upgrade the diverter valve too or leave it stock.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, recommended with Stage 1+.

He's had it up to 154.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

that is pretty impressive my friend, I may do the same with mine after hearing so, and like you I am particularly interested in the speed limiter removal.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2015, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny seeing you, Mister Bally, beating me to this post. yes I've had the stage 1+ ecu flash from Unitronic done on mine. Honestly, there will not be another Audi that I own that I do not have them do even a basic tune on just to remove that silly speed limiter. The added torque and hp are a nice thouch. I can now keep up with my dad's 4.2 with no limiter either....for some time anyway haha
Old 09-12-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted01tt
hey all, im new to the audi world and have a couple of questions. About 2 months ago I purchased my first manual car (2001 Audi TT Quattro 180) yes its a 180 lol. I found a great deal trading my 03 infiniti g35 sedan. Comparatively, I love the audi and don't regret getting it, but the performance is poor. Im looking for an affordable way to upgrade. I.E exhaust, air intake, chips etc. Any suggestions with links and maybe prices?
Hope to hear back from some of you
Keith
To be honest, these cars are no slouch when completely stock. Aside from the chip and DV, mine is barebones stock. Im planning on upgrading my exhaust (miltek or maybe a custom magnaflow, as Borla and others I think are way too loud and obnoxious (I hate seeing audis riced out)), redoing my suspension (162k+ miles and surprise surprise, a few bushings have failed), and perhaps a different tune for more boost. These cars do weigh a lot as well, so a lot could be done there. I have only removed my rear seats and made a custom insert for them instead.
You can see a lot of people's builds with the 1.8Ts on audiworld, vwvortex, and other TT forums for suggestions. Honestly that's what I've been doing for the past year. Lots of research because these German slot cars are not cheap, OEM or aftermarket.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ballykid
Funny seeing you, Mister Bally, beating me to this post. yes I've had the stage 1+ ecu flash from Unitronic done on mine. Honestly, there will not be another Audi that I own that I do not have them do even a basic tune on just to remove that silly speed limiter. The added torque and hp are a nice thouch. I can now keep up with my dad's 4.2 with no limiter either....for some time anyway haha
We didn't feel like waiting a full month for you to post regarding this subject. Who is this, anyway?

Last edited by Mister Bally; 09-13-2015 at 05:38 AM.