TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Aftermarket Amplifier/Subwoofer install

Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Amplifier/Subwoofer install

So, I've seen a few hundred threads of people asking how this can be done but not a single one (that I've found in search) that has a clear answer for this and I'm going to hope this thread doesnt go the same way. I accomplished this task in my 01' a6 with full bose system, but the drastically different systems are throwing me for a BIG loop. I'm now onto my fiance's 00' tt. Here we go:

Project stats:
2000 Audi TT Coupe 1.8t 180hp -Concert Stereo w/ bose & cd changer.

Mission: Install aftermarket amplifier and sub-woofers with losing as few stock components as possible. Retain factory head unit and factory speakers.

Past Audi stereo experience:
Installed aftermarket amplifier by hard-wiring in between the factory head unit and factory amp in my 01' A6 w/ bose to power two 12" alpines. Was satisfied enough with sound for how little I spent, would love to replicate that with the tt.

What I've accomplished:
Power cable is run clear from battery to trunk, very clean run; similar enough to the A6, just a much more "cramped" install area obviously.

My big troubles:
Will be running an 1800w peak Kenwood mono-amp (1000 rms). I have no idea how to tap this thing in to get bumps that correspond with music, and yada yada. The whole turn on with stereo power thing would be fantastic. So here it is guys, I need YOUR wiring expertise.

Disclaimer:
I'm not afraid to hard-wire/solder. Would greatly prefer it by all means, anything I blow up is my sole responsibility Thanks, and please help if you are able.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

To clarify if the original post wasn't clear enough:

I really only need help with the P-conn and RCA's. I've used this same system before so the subwoofer to amplifier wiring etc is not a problem. Simple need an idea who to connect to head unit since there are no RCA's. When I did the A6 I stripped RCA's out and hard-wired the positive/negative shields into existing wires before the amp but after the head-unit. I am far too unfamiliar with the TT stereo to start chopping and soldering without diagrams and guidance. Please help.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jeff has a lot of great write-ups that he did on his (now late) TT.

I think this is what you're looking for. http://mk1tt.montebellopark.com/amp.html

The root directory: http://mk1tt.montebellopark.com/
Old 06-12-2010, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhengel
To clarify if the original post wasn't clear enough:

I really only need help with the P-conn and RCA's. I've used this same system before so the subwoofer to amplifier wiring etc is not a problem. Simple need an idea who to connect to head unit since there are no RCA's. When I did the A6 I stripped RCA's out and hard-wired the positive/negative shields into existing wires before the amp but after the head-unit. I am far too unfamiliar with the TT stereo to start chopping and soldering without diagrams and guidance. Please help.
The line-outs on plug I are the equivalent of RCA's I believe with outputs referenced to ground. LR, RR,FR,FL. I think crutchfield sells a loom adapter to save cutting the original.

FYI there are differences on all of the first 3 years of the TT with completely different versions for roadster/ coupe. Bentley manual is your best source.

Some of the coupes don't even use the rear outputs (check to see if your concert head unit has a fader control, my 2001 with Bose doesn't, so there is no wiring connected to LR or RR on the head unit). The output to the rear speakers is driven in parallel off the amp.
Attached Images  

Last edited by AudiMick; 06-12-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ejaudi
Jeff has a lot of great write-ups that he did on his (now late) TT.

I think this is what you're looking for. http://mk1tt.montebellopark.com/amp.html

The root directory: http://mk1tt.montebellopark.com/
Jeff's write-ups are amazing and I greatly appreciate the link but the fact Audi techs had to change every stereo component between each year and even independently between roadster/coupe versions is challenging :/ Lots of good reference points though for sure. Jeff's tt is no longer? Yeesh, where've I been.

Mick, very good info and thanks for the diagram. I will do have to do some digging in terms of the LR/RR. I am a hair confused on what you mean by $ outputs?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhengel
I am a hair confused on what you mean by $ outputs?
That was a typo, an electrical symbol that didn't translate. Fixed revised to "with".

This is a better comparison with pin # s. The Delta has the same pin# as the concert except there is no plug IV.

You need TT Bentley manual drawing EWD74-75.
Attached Images  

Last edited by AudiMick; 06-12-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any Luck. i have an 05 Audi TT Concert CD with CD Changer and Bose. I want to do the same amp/sub install. i have an Alpine amp with 2 10" Rockford Fosgate Amps. Were you able to find out which wire to tap into?
Please help.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i just did my amp/subwoofer install with stock Concert stereo this past weekend. i took a bunch of pics. I am currently in the middle of doing a How-To write up on the whole project. It was easier than i thought. I will post it very soon.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is the my write up. I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Next project is getting Pac-audio harness to add AUX/Bluetooth/iPod connections to the stock head unit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2005 AUDI TT AMP SUB INSTALL.pdf (526.5 KB, 2961 views)