TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

audi TT 180HP, persistent misfire cylinder 1

Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi TT 180HP, persistent misfire cylinder 1

I have an audi TT MK1 with 180HP 1.8T engine.
Due to some foreign debris in the timing belt area it skipped a couple of teeth, and forced me to rebuild the cylinder head. I have replaced all valves, valve seals, new head gasket and tightening bolts and put it back together.
When firing it up, it had difficulty starting and showed a random misfire (mainly on Cylinder 1.)
I replaced part of the wiring harness, all coils, spark plugs, checked the ECM relay (428) against the bulkhead in the egine compartment. and still misfire on cylinder one.
I swapped the spark plug, ignition coil, fuel injector to another cylinder, but the misfire remains on cylinder 1. I checked continuity from the ignition coil to the main plug into the ECM, and measured no resistance.
There is fuel going into cylinder 1, as the sparkplug is drenched. This led me to believe it is an electrical/ignition problem.
The car does not want to start unless I put some pressure on the gas.
When turning the key to the on position, I hear the fuel pump priming.
Once the car starts, it is shaking as if running on 3 cylinders, when revving it over 3000 RPM without load, the shaking stops, it looks like the engine runs properly up to 3500 and then the CEL starts blinking. Code P0301 will show.
(previously it also hinted to the Camshaft Position sensor, but after swapping that one for an original, that error disappeared)
Have cleared the DTCs many times, disconnected the battery overnight, and turned the key to on position for 2 minutes (to potentially adapt the throttle body).

What could be the problem? could it be that the ECM is fried, or should I look to other sensors e.g. MAF, Crankshaft???
Old 12-01-2021, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wilco.k
I have an audi TT MK1 with 180HP 1.8T engine.
Due to some foreign debris in the timing belt area it skipped a couple of teeth, and forced me to rebuild the cylinder head. I have replaced all valves, valve seals, new head gasket and tightening bolts and put it back together.
When firing it up, it had difficulty starting and showed a random misfire (mainly on Cylinder 1.)
I replaced part of the wiring harness, all coils, spark plugs, checked the ECM relay (428) against the bulkhead in the egine compartment. and still misfire on cylinder one.
I swapped the spark plug, ignition coil, fuel injector to another cylinder, but the misfire remains on cylinder 1. I checked continuity from the ignition coil to the main plug into the ECM, and measured no resistance.
There is fuel going into cylinder 1, as the sparkplug is drenched. This led me to believe it is an electrical/ignition problem.
The car does not want to start unless I put some pressure on the gas.
When turning the key to the on position, I hear the fuel pump priming.
Once the car starts, it is shaking as if running on 3 cylinders, when revving it over 3000 RPM without load, the shaking stops, it looks like the engine runs properly up to 3500 and then the CEL starts blinking. Code P0301 will show.
(previously it also hinted to the Camshaft Position sensor, but after swapping that one for an original, that error disappeared)
Have cleared the DTCs many times, disconnected the battery overnight, and turned the key to on position for 2 minutes (to potentially adapt the throttle body).

What could be the problem? could it be that the ECM is fried, or should I look to other sensors e.g. MAF, Crankshaft???

I know this is very old at this point, but did you get this sorted out and if so, what was it. I have the exact same situation.
THANK YOU