TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain

I have a Audi TT MK1 and I have a slow battery drain but the lights and windows will work until I actually try to start the car and then the battery will die and ideas? My mechanic said it was the radio so we unplugged it and now the drain is not as bad but the problem is still there
Old 07-28-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also chasing a battery drain. Mine started with my alarm going off at inappropriate times (for no known reason). A bit of research claims a known problem is the alarm module that contains some small rechargeable batteries. Over time the batteries leak and corrode the circuit board and cause the alarm problems and the electrical drain. The module can be repaired or replaced, but I can't find it. On a coupe it's supposed to be behind an access panel on the side behind the driver. I have a roadster so I looked behind the panels in the trunk, but no luck.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Standard Automotive Electrical system troubleshooting techniques apply.

If you want someone to tell you what your problem is without them having access to the car, going to be pretty tough. Plus, most people would like to get paid for their labor/time/effort.

Now that that's out of the way, try this: Fully charge battery with engine "cold". Disconnect charger and have car locked (and alarm on if possible) Four hours later, unlock car, open hood and place your hand on the alternator. If it is toasty warm, you have found your problem. Most likely a leaky diode. Replace the diode carrier in the alternator (if you feel qualified to perform the job) or, take the alternator to an Auto Electric shop for them to repair/rebuild. Or, buy a reman alternator and install.

If the alternator is cold, see the first sentence at the top of this post.