TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Broken Dipstick tube!

Old 05-20-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Dipstick tube!

I am the proud owner of a 2001 silver TT. I am just beginning to dive into fixing the "classic TT" issues its got. The first is the broken dipstick guide tube. I bought a new tube from the dealer, part # 06A-103-663-B, and thought that would do the trick. I am now thinking I may need another part. All you guys out there with experience replacing the tubes, what did the lower metal tube attached to the engine block look like? Mine looks like this on one end.

Name:  _57_zpsvwaexlvm.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  34.7 KB

All the parts diagrams I can find show an additional plastic piece and o-ring attached to the end. Did Audi make two different kinds of metal guide tubes? I don't want to install my new plastic tube just yet if I don't have the right parts needed for the job.

Name:  119260_x800_zpswdndniod.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  47.6 KB

Also, if I wanted to diagnose an airbag light, what kind of VAGCOM cable would I need? I keep hearing that's the only way to go about this.

Name:  IMG_0519_zpscquhqunh.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  130.1 KB
Old 05-21-2015, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I too recently purchased a Silver 2001, 225q. My tube was broke, apparently very common place. I changed out both upper, lower and dipstick too as the plastic on the dipstick was deteriorating too. Reason I replaced lower half was some of the plastic upper was broken off inside the tube. Had to pull the oil pan to do so, not too difficult all in all and was glad to make the extra effort.

As for your airbag situation, VCDS is the only way to go, also check your air bag connectors under the seats.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I love this car like crazy, and I'm sure you feel the same about yours. When you changed out your lower, do you remember what the end of the metal tube looked like? Mine looks like the one in the first picture I posted, and if I have to drop the pan, I may just use it as-is.

What do you use to scan the codes in the car? I've seen an airbag reset light box on eBay, but that seems like it could do some damage to the computer on the car.

The light used to flicker, and after messing around with the plug under the seat, it's always on. This leads me to believe I actually tripped something in the controller, or I caused more damage to something that may not have been completely broken. Oops...
Old 05-22-2015, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

My lower tube looked like your 1st picture too, my replacement looks like your picture #2. You may find it useful to drop the pan and replace it. I am glad I did mine. My car had been serviced its entire life by Audi Dealerships and when I pulled my pan I found a great number of shavings in the oil pickup screen. Apparently someone had cross threaded the drain plug, and instead of dropping the pan to re-thread the opening, they did so with the pan in place and of course the shavings remained in the pan. So I was able to avert potential tragedy by getting that stuff out of that area.