TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

A/C assistance

Old 06-27-2014, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C assistance

So a while back the A/C in my 01 tt went out. the compressor stopped engaging. It does not even try. The low and high pressure both at about 110 psi. I'm no A/C pro but I consider myself a novice at it. However this one has me completely stumped.

From what I can find those readings would tend to indicate a busted compressor. So I had the system discharged and purchased a new compressor and dryer for the car. I finally got them installed and proceeded to attempt a recharge of the system.

The system was evacuated and I opened one can to it. Now I still have the same problem. Both reading about 110 and the compressor makes no attempt at engaging.

I do have VCDS but no codes there.
Econ light turns on and off as it always has.
I do not have a Bentley manual. I have read on the forums to both jump the pressure switch and to not to. If so, I am not sure where the switch is on the car.

Any help would be most appreciative.

thanks
Old 06-27-2014, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just noticed that one of the green fuses in the batt dist box was a little toasty.. The one closest to the large fusible links. Can anyone tell me what the green fuses go to, or what their size is so that I can replace it properly? I cant find any mention of them in the owners manual
Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

For anyone who is curious about my findings, I found that the green fuse was indeed the culprit. I found a 30 amp marking on it and replaced the fuse. All is well now except for the money spend on parts not needed . Just wish that there was a sticker or something indicating what everything in that box goes to.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac problem

Originally Posted by eatumup
For anyone who is curious about my findings, I found that the green fuse was indeed the culprit. I found a 30 amp marking on it and replaced the fuse. All is well now except for the money spend on parts not needed . Just wish that there was a sticker or something indicating what everything in that box goes to.
my ac just stopped working for no reason my friend was messing with all the buttons on the heat and ac and it just stopped working, where is the fuse box maybe i blew a fuse thank you
Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

The fuse I blew was a green 30 amp fuse. Directly on top of the battery is a black plastic wire management center. there is something like 5 large fusible link wires and 5 or 6 green fuses in a row in it. Nothing in there is marked. For me it was one of the little green fuses. I had to look really close to see that my fuse was bad. it had a burn mark at the base about the side of a ball point pen tip.

I am pretty sure its the fuse closest to the wires. I don't know what anything else in there does, So I cant say for sure of one of the other fuses might also have something to do with the A/C system.

Happy hunting and good luck!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If the condensor fan comes on with the AC switch..then ....

...replace the compressor . Job sucks but thats likely what it is.

If you have pressure in the system, and the fans come on. You can try replacing the pressure switch, but the AC compressor is shot.

Common problem.

If the fan does not come on with the ac switch, then could be the fan relay (under the battery box) - If the compressor fan does not come on with the car on, AC on (not in economy mode) then the relay could be bad - replace it only with the audi brand one (yes it is a lot more expensive) and be very careful which one you buy (check your vin etc) as there are many part model #s

But my spidy sense tells me it is the compressor