TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Cluster Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster Replacement

Canadian Owner (in Ottawa) of a US model 2005 Audi TT 3.2 DSG.

The LCD on the cluster was missing pixels and I tried an LCD replacement. I screwed up the pad on the circuit board where the LCD ribbon cable connects to it. Net result, I will need a new circuit board (so essentially a new cluster).
All the gauges were working properly so parts can be recovered if needed.

A new cluster and programming from the dealers is too expensive.
Part Number: 8n1920980e
Cluster is in MPH but if I would prefer to replace it with a KPH version if possible (but if an MPH replacement is cheaper, I will pick the cheaper option).

Do I have any alternatives?
1. Can I purchase a used cluster and have is programmed somewhere (since the dealer will probably not do it)? Based on my reading, I need a SKU for both clusters (which I don't have) so is there a way to retrieve it?
2. Are there any vendors that repair the cluster circuit board (a pad where the ribbon attaches) in addition to replacing the LCD?
3. Does anyone know of a dealer that shows financial sympathy for TT owners that provide more reasonable prices on cluster replacements?

If anyone can share guidance or direct me to where I can get guidance, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Sal
Old 11-03-2015, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Try modulemaster in Idaho

You should have done some Mk 1 TT forum searches prior to trying it yourself. The cluster board should be left to the pros. I'm an electrical engineer with soldering training and would not touch it. Also the rebuild prices are very reasonable. There are several rebuild companies but ModuleMasters is frequently mentioned. Give them a call to see where you go from here. Other boards to search are Fourtitude and Quattroworld
Old 11-24-2015, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sal,

Your dealer will do it. It takes a short period of time and you will not be charged much. Where are you buying your new cluster. I may need one as well and am looking on ebay.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Former Vendor

Hi, We are a new vendor to this forum but are happy to assist you with the issues you are having with your cluster.

We can handle this no problem. We would need your original cluster to transfer immobilizer and mileage to the replacement cluster. PM or call us for pricing details and we will be happy to assist you.

Thanks,