TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Convertible rear window becoming unglued...

Old 10-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible rear window becoming unglued...

After 9 years, the lower right corner of the rear convertible top window is becoming unglued. This seems to be localized to that corner area only, and the top is otherwise in perfect conditions. I do not want to replace the whole top right now, and I would rather attempt a repair.

I have searched the forums and found three postings on the subject. One recommends the following two adhesives:
3M 1300L
Bostik 2402

Anyone has a suggestion or can recommend an appropriate adhesive?

TIA
Old 10-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found some stuff at the local parts store it was a weeping window sealant, it worked on mine.. no more leak. I will see if I still have the tube in my box and will post on what the name is
Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Mine did the same thing...

I used 3M Weatherstrip adhesive. Comes in yellow or black http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SQTVY
Old 10-15-2009, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

just fixed mine with 3M 08609
Old 05-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fix it fast!

Mine also had a small area coming unglued. It rained one day while I was parked at my office. When I came out, the entire bottom edge and one entire side had separated. Had to buy a new top. Took two weeks to get the new top made and installed. Couldn't drive the TT. It sat in the driveway under a tarp. Fix it fast.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by inTTune
I used 3M Weatherstrip adhesive. Comes in yellow or black http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SQTVY
I'm having the same problem with my 2002 TT. The window started falling out today. Is there a repair that works?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update....

I have tried the 3M glue. The problems are:
1. The glue is a light brown-yellow. Every single smudge is very visible on the black top. It really doesn't look good.
2. Application is a nightmare. I could not get it up properly.
3. This glue does become loose pretty fast. Count on re-applying every month or so.

It is not a viable solution in the long run. Top replacement seems the only permanent fix. :-((
Old 08-02-2010, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Goop

After having the same problem with mine and doing research on the net I decided to go with "goop" as it is advertised that it works on fabric and glass. First I reglued the fabric strip back onto the window and held it in place to dry with clothes pins. Then I glued the fabric to fabric and glass with another application of goop.
First I released the top to reduce the tension on the window. I then applied the goop and held it in place with with a thick clear tape(not duct tape as it will leave a residue) I applied the glue on the outside first and it let it dry for 24hrs. then I re-applied the goop on the iside of the rear window. I was able to stuff furniture pillows in the back to keep pressure on the seams.
So far it's holding up although I haven't tried putting the top down yet. I live in Fla. and it's been extreemely hot and that hasn't had any effect on the glue job! The glue dries clear and I was able to use a razor blade on the outside of the window to clean up the over flow. The job looks almost 100% perfect.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

mine completely came off lol... i pulled the whole top off the car and glued it back together using uv5200. You can find it at any marine supply store and some hardware. it's less than 20 bucks for a caulking gun size tube and works wonderful. its water proof and glues pretty much anything to anything. its held up great so far. 2 months and counting and i put the top down almost everyday. i live in south east nc it rains every other day and the its 95 degrees everyday. only draw back i found was set time is 24 hours and cure time is 7 days. also it comes in black sorry the rant.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tried a couple of Home Depot Super Glue brands which worked great for about 6 or 8 months each, then failed again. After the second time my glass fell out, I took the roof to a custom upholsterer for a plastic, sewn-in replacement -- my idea -- that looks OK. Not good, just OK, but it does a great job of keeping the rain out.

Appearance (and future clouding) is not a big deal, since I almost always drive with the top down. Seat heaters and an 85-degree blower into the footwells can compensate for most of Atlanta's chilly days.

By the way, the guy had some wild convertible top replacement fabrics: animal prints, metallic flake, and some electric solid colors. Maybe next time, I'll get the zebra print ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible rear window becoming unglued...