TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Cooling/Fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling/Fan issue

Started up the car today and noticed it was running a little hot after idling a few minutes. Took it for a spin around the block and the temp kept rising on the dash till it was near the H.

Parked it and checked the fans...neither fan was kicking on at all. Turned the A/C on full blast and both fans kicked on immediately. Turned the A/C off and both fans shut off.

Checked the 3 fuses located above the battery and all three were still intact. Removed and reseated the fuses and still no fans.

I replaced the thermostat not too long ago. Does anyone know if this is a Fan Control Module issue?

If so, where can I find one online instead of paying more for it at the stealer?

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you checked your fan temperature switch? It's separate from the dash indicator sender. As I recall you can jumper the leads to see if the fans come on.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, I haven't checked the fan temp. switch. Any idea where that is located? Should I jumper them back to the battery to see if it kicks the fans on?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Also check your fuse block (above your battery) there are three green fuses. Check those three. You might be surprised to find one of them is burned - it does happen quite a bit. Rock it back and fourth and see if your fan comes on while your vehicle is warm.

The replacement fuse panel is about 64.00 at Audi when I did mine last year.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a simalar issue except my fans would not even kick on with AC. I bought a new control module and radiator temp switch last week to cover all bases. The Module was around $50.00 on ebay. Temp switch was $12.00 from an VW/Audi online store. Have not had time to install them yet. I currently have my raditor temp switch unplugged with a jumper wire connecting two of the 3 terminals to keep my fans running.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also if none of the fuses on the battery block are blown. You may want to feel if any of the wires going into the block are hot. My far left negative wire was so hot I could barely touch it! Upon inspection I found it was corroded where it bolts to the starter. I diconnected it and took a little sandpaper to it. No more overheating wires!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sixspeedTTMike
I had a simalar issue except my fans would not even kick on with AC. I bought a new control module and radiator temp switch last week to cover all bases. The Module was around $50.00 on ebay. Temp switch was $12.00 from an VW/Audi online store. Have not had time to install them yet. I currently have my raditor temp switch unplugged with a jumper wire connecting two of the 3 terminals to keep my fans running.
It's been a while, but I think I paid around $90 for the temp switch at the dealer for our 3.2.

It is located on the 3.2 on the radiator tank, don't remember which side.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey I am having issue on colling system as well... The other day my A/C is not working properly.. I had the temp set to 68F but the air that's coming out is warm.. then the next day my radiator fan is not working.. A/C is still warm.. then next morning everything is working normal. A/c is cold and fan is working.. Any who. What do you think is wrong?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Many AC systems shut off at high condensor temperatures. No air flow due to a bad radiator fan is one cause.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

how to diagnose a cooling system problem? anyone? i need step by step instructions on how to do this? thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Cooling/Fan issue