TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Dash - fix ideas for temperature speedometer & fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash - fix ideas for temperature speedometer & fuel gauge

Just purchased a 01 TT with 123k miles on it. Gauges all have issues except Tachometer.

1. Temperature gauge moves but maintains a very constant position 1 mark shy of 'H' when regardless of warmed up or not (see picture).

2. Fuel gauge moves but is wrong, however number of miles left before fillup on the LED display is correct!

3. Speedometer reads about 8mph too slow compared to actual speed (maybe a little less at lower speeds I couldn't quite tell but certainly true in 50-70mph range)

Possible Solutions:

After scouring the forums and other forums too i've come up with this:

For #1 Temperature Guage) Thanks to JustJeff's very nice DIY cluster repair write-up it appears fairly clear that he replaces the guage movements aka "stepper motor" as they are what go bad in these clusters. I found Tanin Auto has them for $25. Does anyone know of any other electronics distributor that sells the movements / stepper motor for cheaper? Of course you can also send it to bba-reman.com for ~$300 and have your original fixed (most likely the same fix) if you are not so inclined to DIY.

For #2 Fuel) Here, though it looks like the same issue might fix it there also may be an alternative cheaper solution. This fix in the ttforum.uk might be the just what i need and you just have to adjust the needle and shave down the rim to ensure it doesn't bonk into the rim!

For #3 Speedometer) Could this be a stepper motor replacement like #1, or is there something else maybe wrong bigger wheels? or a measurment issue? I'm not sure on this one, any suggestions are welcome but it is the least important of the three (IMO).

Audi TT Mk1 instrument cluster guages with various issues but no bad pixels as far as I can tell.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Well, how much are you willing to pay for each stepper motor? Consider that the Audi solution is to replace the cluster for $800-1100 US. This also requires a component protection procedure with the vehicle being at a dealer.

Module Master offers two repair procedures. Tanin also offers repair service as well as parts sales at very reasonable prices.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Agree, just send the cluster out for a refurb

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Well, how much are you willing to pay for each stepper motor? Consider that the Audi solution is to replace the cluster for $800-1100 US. This also requires a component protection procedure with the vehicle being at a dealer.

Module Master offers two repair procedures. Tanin also offers repair service as well as parts sales at very reasonable prices.
Unless you are a certified microelectronic solderer, it is highly likely you will screw up more than you will fix DIY. Most folks use Module Masters.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Vegas-Roadster, I hadn't heard of Module Masters. For $150 they'll replace the motors on all 4 gauges and back with a 5 year warranty sounds well worth it.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:00 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mister Bally

Thanks for the mention! We appreciate it and as vendors on the site we want to extend a coupon code for you all to use: Audi10oct for 10% off starting now!

Here is the link to our service which is $149.99 and offers a five year warranty:

Audi A4 A6 S4 TT Allroad Gauge Cluster Rebuild

The full rebuild is applicable for 2000 - 2006 Audi TT only which includes four brand new needle motors, a new LCD screen, and is $99 more.

Let us know if you have any questions. We are always happy to help our AudiForum friends!

Thanks,
Old 10-02-2016, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also realized that my Date/Time is blank and does not display anything period. Pulling out and twisting and/or pushing in the button (left) that is associated with it seems to do nothing (key was in and in ignition setting). But it does appear to still be back lit.

I don't see this being mentioned under any other thread or mentioned in the things to fix when it gets sent in for rebuild. Anyone else have a problem with Time and date not showing up at all and find a solution?
Is there a fuse
Old 10-03-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by herrfink
Also realized that my Date/Time is blank and does not display anything period. Pulling out and twisting and/or pushing in the button (left) that is associated with it seems to do nothing (key was in and in ignition setting). But it does appear to still be back lit.

I don't see this being mentioned under any other thread or mentioned in the things to fix when it gets sent in for rebuild. Anyone else have a problem with Time and date not showing up at all and find a solution?
Is there a fuse
Try disconnected eating the battery for several minutes causing a reset. Be sure to have your radio code just in case. Otherwise, let Tanin repair it.