TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

downpipe.....worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default downpipe.....worth it?

Just want your opinion if getting a 3"downpipe for my 04 TT 225 Roadster is worth it. It would mate to a Borla catback exhaust(2.5 in. pipe) and I would also want it catted to pass emmisions. The Borla has a resonator and although I do like the subtle growl it is more heard during deacceleration & idle rather than acceleration as of right now. I was hoping a performance downpipe would liven up the Borla sound just a bit as well as spool up the turbo faster. I am running an APR stage 1 remap which has really helped and a Modshack intake too. Would adding a downpipe to what I already have call for another APR remap? 42 draft designs is my 1st choice but its alot of $$$ and the shipping to Canada is pricey too. This is why I want to know if I would notice a difference in performance & sound to justify the price.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 42 Draft downpipe is junk

Hopefully you didn't make the mistake of getting the 42 draft downpipe like I did. Full turbo back. They use a magnaflow exhaust section that, like yours is more noisy on deceleration than acceleration or idle. The problem is that the downpipe doesn't fit worth a DANG! Rubs against the cross member making terrible noises, and it nearly rests on the heat shield as well (other forms state it actually does rub). Totally annoying product.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No I didnt go with 42 Draft Designs downpipe.I went with Relentless downpipe
(A bad fitting downpipe). Although I got a break on the price from the dealer if I did a writeup on it, (a positive one of course) I never did do one. I couldnt without lying about the fit.
It was installed professionally and had to be heated in a few spots and kinked in order to avoid rubbing and banging the tunnel & crossframe. My Audi mechanic never had seen a fit that poor for that car.On top of that I was thowing codes due to the 200 cell cat which I had to get an O2 sensor extender to fix.The installation cost far exceeded the cost of the downpipe due to the poor fit.
Now with all that negative stuff out of the way the performance & sound is very good! When I accelerate I hear the growl of the engine above the turbo spool.Not obnoxious but just right for that kind of car. I am satisfied to the point that I don't want any more performance mods as my TT really rocks! So to answer my own question yes the downpipe is worth it.Had I done it over again I would have gone with APR from tip to tail.

Last edited by Glenbo; 10-06-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Don't do a downpipe. I have a relentless and as others stated it requires modification for fit. Sounds great with a Borla but logged 0-- 80 mph 3rd gear pull says that there is negligible if any performance gain. (I had just run out of mods to do :-) ) Spend your money on brakes and suspension first (after a chip)
Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an APR stage 1 chip on this car & a Modshack cold air intake. So when they installed the downpipe they tweaked the APR chip to take full advantage of the mods. Maybe that is why I feel an improvement in performance mainly in mid range other than the
sound.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

42 Draft design finally asked for pictures after various hoops I jumped through and then sent me my new adjusted downpipe for my full exhaust.
The exhaust now fits in the space between the heat shield, drive shaft, and subframe, perfectly. It is absolutely amazing that they got it spot on from pictures, unless they realized the last one had left with the wrong bends, etc.
The rear exhaust tips also are adjusted off my bodywork to the hard right, down into the perfect spacing between them and the bodywork all the way around.
The chip, 42draft intake, and full 42draft exhaust is unreal on this car. It has tons of power and sounds amazing. Before, with just the chip, it pulled ok to about 5k maybe? Strong midrangee, butit seemed to die out, and I would naturally shift... No more power up there, no sense pushing against a wall. The Intake allowed it a tad more room in power below and above the previous power band, but really, it seemed to just get to that point more quickly. With the addition of the full exhaust, it now pulls hard, from 3k-red like my GSXR 1000 did after the exhaust and intake were changed on it. Even as it approaches redline the motor shows no sign of power loss, it just keeps pulling hard until you let off and shift. They use a magnates can in their exhaust build, and it sounds amazing. I have had this car since 2003, and with the new exhaust noises, it feels like I am driving a new car, hahaha. Fun all over again.