TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Flickering dash lights and gauges that don't work upon initial start???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My silver TT was almost black... was able to wash it last week though.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: check battery at Autozone for free

I had my 3yr old optima yellow top checked and it looked pretty good. Plenty of cranking amps, but slightly low on voltage.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Bad cluster??? The stealership wants me to replace my main dash and all 4 gauges. What is this ...

cluster you speak of?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had the exact same problem, and

after chasing all of the battery suggestions I had the cluster replaced at the dealership. That cured all of the problems.

My cluster got so bad that eventually, after all of the flickeing, it wouldn't work at all and this was a real problem because this caused the immobilizer to be activated and I couldn't drive the car. It had to be towed to the dealership. Before you face this problem and are left stranded somewhere, take it to the dealership and have the cluster replaced.

BC
Old 02-08-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Anyone else have this exact problems resolved by simply cleaning the cluster?

I'm a tad bit skeptical since most people go ahead and replace the cluster.. if cleaning the contacts will buy some time, I'd definitely try that..
Old 02-08-2007, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default gauge cluster. those 4 gauges you're referring to>>

is known as a cluster. as in a cluster of gauges?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:17 AM

Yeah, my passenger seat is talking to me every time I hit a bump!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default UPDATE!!! After doing some research into this "cluster" problem on the internet, I contacted AoA by

phone and voiced my complaints to them. I even sent them a copy of the 7 minute video that some European TV series did on this problem I found on the internet.

This morning, AoA called me back and said that they would pay for the parts ($724.83) to replace it, however, I would have to pay for the labor ($340.08). Anyhow, this came as a huge surprise to me, as I figured that with over 110,000 miles on my car they would just tell me sorry, there was nothing they could do. Anyhow, I guess the squeaky wheel really does get the grease every once in a while.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default congrats. it literally pays to complain to AoA. worth it in this case where cluster failure

is common with just about all of us. good for you.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same exact issue

I have a 02 225 with 126k miles. Have literally the exact same issue. About 3 weeks ago the gauge lights started flickering and after a few miles it would all go normal, then about 2 weeks ago the fuel gauge stopped working all together and the other dials all basically did the same. I should note that i live within walking distance of work so i dont know if they would still work after some time but its definitely worse on a cold start. for instance if i drive again with in a few hours, no dial issues at all (except fuel gauge as previously mentioned) Weather is fine here in NC so no issues there. So yesterday leaving work, car starts and after 1 second the motor shuts off. turns, gets throttle. no noises or issues but turns off every time (like clockwork). I tried to get jumped but no luck starting. Does anyone have instructions on cleaning the harness? prices on gauge clusters?

Quick Reply: Flickering dash lights and gauges that don't work upon initial start???