TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Fog Lights Always On?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lights Always On?

Hi,

I purchased my TT used last summer and it has been my daily driver ever since. When I bought the car, I thought the car didn't have fog lights and the fog switch was unused, because pulling and pushing had no effect on the lights. I decided to do more research, and I found that the TT *does* have fog lights; mine were just always on. The fog lights are on whenever the low beams are:

(Yes, my right parking light is also out. It has nothing to do with this problem.)
and the pull/push switch makes no difference. The fogs go out when I put on the high beams, and they are not on when I have just the parking lights. Pulling out the fog light switch when operating on just parking lights does not turn the fog lights on. Any ideas what might be causing this?

I have the Bentley Publishers manual, and I've been trying to trace my way through the wiring diagrams. I have no idea what part might be suspect, though. Has anything like this happened to any of you?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know if this would be your issue, but I had the same problem some time ago. It was due to the under dash being re-installed improperly. As I would turn the headlight switch to on, it was at such an angle that it would pull just enough to turn on the fogs. You may want to remove the cover that covers the light switch and steering column, and test it then to troubleshoot your problem... my 2cents

Hope everything works out for you!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, I'll check that! (Though that wouldn't prevent the fogs from lighting if I pulled the switch out when the parking lights were on, would it?)
Old 07-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default lite switch

Canadian cars have DRL (daytime run lites) while USA cars do not. Sounds like you have a USA switch. There was a Fokti about switch modification at mcphill/audi_stuff/lighting_systems/"foglight switch mod".
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VARATEK
Canadian cars have DRL (daytime run lites) while USA cars do not. Sounds like you have a USA switch. There was a Fokti about switch modification at mcphill/audi_stuff/lighting_systems/"foglight switch mod".
...not sure what that has to do with this problem. And where might I find that mod?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NJAldwin
Hi,

I purchased my TT used last summer and it has been my daily driver ever since. When I bought the car, I thought the car didn't have fog lights and the fog switch was unused, because pulling and pushing had no effect on the lights. I decided to do more research, and I found that the TT *does* have fog lights; mine were just always on. The fog lights are on whenever the low beams are:

(Yes, my right parking light is also out. It has nothing to do with this problem.)
and the pull/push switch makes no difference. The fogs go out when I put on the high beams, and they are not on when I have just the parking lights. Pulling out the fog light switch when operating on just parking lights does not turn the fog lights on. Any ideas what might be causing this?

I have the Bentley Publishers manual, and I've been trying to trace my way through the wiring diagrams. I have no idea what part might be suspect, though. Has anything like this happened to any of you?

Thanks,
Nick
Mine is 2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Coupe: For USA, Low Beam & Fogs turn on together. To turn off Fogs, pull switch "Fogs ON", then push switch "Fogs OFF". Look at headlights & you will see Fogs OFF, while Low Beams stay ON. I discovered this accidentally yesterday. Works every time!