TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Timing Belt Replacement: waterpump recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Replacement: waterpump recommendation

To keep cashflow in check, I plan to purchase timing belt replacement parts over a period of time, then install. To that end, I intend to purchase a suitable waterpump. I understand that waterpumps with metal rather than plastic impellers should be used because the plastic impellers don't last long. I've been told that Audi initially offered a pump with a plastic impeller, but they later changed it to a metal impeller. Yet ECS is selling an Audi OEM waterpump with a plastic impeller in addition to a GRAF waterpump with a metal impeller. Does anyone know if Audi waterpumps now have metal impellers? Does anyone have experience using a GRAF? All I know about the GRAF is that it is manufactured in Italy, and that they use a metal cast impeller.

FYI this is for a 2001 MK1 225HP Quattro.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lokela
To keep cashflow in check, I plan to purchase timing belt replacement parts over a period of time, then install. To that end, I intend to purchase a suitable waterpump. I understand that waterpumps with metal rather than plastic impellers should be used because the plastic impellers don't last long. I've been told that Audi initially offered a pump with a plastic impeller, but they later changed it to a metal impeller. Yet ECS is selling an Audi OEM waterpump with a plastic impeller in addition to a GRAF waterpump with a metal impeller. Does anyone know if Audi waterpumps now have metal impellers? Does anyone have experience using a GRAF? All I know about the GRAF is that it is manufactured in Italy, and that they use a metal cast impeller.

FYI this is for a 2001 MK1 225HP Quattro.

Any help would be appreciated.

Who is the idiot asking such a stupid question about water pumps? Sheesh they let ANYONE join this list. What a snotty faced heap of parrot droppings you are!

Oh. it was me. Never mind.

All seriousness aside, this is what I found out for those of you who really DO want to know about TT waterpumps.

Audi now offers TT waterpumps with plastic impellers AND TT water pumps with metal impellers. It's important to order the metal impeller version. If you are getting a timing belt replacement (and thus the waterpump), make sure that they install the right waterpump.

'nuf said.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes use metal impeller.

You are better off doing price checking on a "TB KIT" rather then purchasing all the part individually. You will save money this way.

Also make sure that someone that knows what they are doing will be doing the installation. You should is a parts/labor total of about $1200-1300 from a dealer.

Also if you are anywhere near 50-60k miles be sure to at least have the belt looked at before driving any further.

Had a guy call me with just shy of 60k and say he will be bringing the car in to me for TB job. 40 miles before he hit 60K the belt snapped and ruined his day. It is no joke!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

You should purchase the parts all at once. We sell our kits at a discount and they come with metal impellers. I know it is harder to buy it all at once if you are scraping for pennies but you save a ton because they are priced lower than buying individually and you get free shipping to the 48 lower states. If you bought pieces at a time, you'd have to pay more in shipping AND lose the kit discount.

This is a link to our most complete kit with a metal impeller.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Better to save your money for a while and get a kit like they said. A shop will charge more if you bring in your own kit, though. If you've never done a TB, it's not the easiest one to switch out, but doable. I wsa quoted $600 - $800 for a german shop to do mine, but did it myself for around $300 I think.

Ended up doing it 3 times because of a faulty aftermarket waterpump though, but that's the risk you take to save money.. Sort of worth it in the end.