TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Front plate installation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front plate installation?

Hello all, Iīm Ron. I live in Costa Rica and we just imported a beautiful 2003 TT (FWD, 1.8 T).

Here in CR we are forced to carry both, the front and the back plate id. This car was brought from FL and doesnīt have a place for the front plate. Is there any suggestion that could avoid damage (drilling holes) on the carīs front bumper? It seems to be euro plate-ready but I canīt find anything in the manual stating details on how to install an "american type" plate.

Thanks!

Ron
Old 06-01-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default No pretty answer

Originally Posted by ronald.mora
Hello all, Iīm Ron. I live in Costa Rica and we just imported a beautiful 2003 TT (FWD, 1.8 T).

Here in CR we are forced to carry both, the front and the back plate id. This car was brought from FL and doesnīt have a place for the front plate. Is there any suggestion that could avoid damage (drilling holes) on the carīs front bumper? It seems to be euro plate-ready but I canīt find anything in the manual stating details on how to install an "american type" plate.

Thanks!

Ron
The USA solution to front plates was to attach a black "plate wart" to the international plate cover. It is a standard part available from your local dealer. Any generic "plate wart" will likely work. Circa 2001, there was some discussion among tuning companies to make an insert that would install in the Europlate socket and hold the USA plate but no one ever sold it. So you are stuck with the ugly solution.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Darn! id plates are so ugly. Thank you for the info, I asked in the local stealership and they ask $200 for that part you mentioned. Iīd probably be better off this part.

Perhaps thereīs a not so bad-looking option available online?
Old 06-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just found this on EBay

Audi TT MK1 Up to 2006 'No Holes' License Plate Bracket | eBay

It states that by default they will ship the centered bracket:

**The Audi TT (MK1) NHLPB Kit comes included with the Standard1 Center Bracket (Pictured). OFFSET1 Right Bracket is available and can be swapped at no additional cost but needs to be put in notes section at time of ordering.

Although there are no pics of this. Any reference?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 06-02-2015, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Looks better than the plate wart

Originally Posted by ronald.mora
Just found this on EBay

Audi TT MK1 Up to 2006 'No Holes' License Plate Bracket | eBay

It states that by default they will ship the centered bracket:

**The Audi TT (MK1) NHLPB Kit comes included with the Standard1 Center Bracket (Pictured). OFFSET1 Right Bracket is available and can be swapped at no additional cost but needs to be put in notes section at time of ordering.

Although there are no pics of this. Any reference?
$200 for the black lump of plastic is absurd. They should give it away. Had not seen this before, either advertised or in person.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The local Audi dealership in CR is carried out by Nissan. Their prices are absurd, while I canīt prove it Iīve heard their technicians are not well trained, that wouldnīt surprise me at all.

Having an Audi in CR means that you will have to struggle finding a shop that Works out for you, in this country everyone thinks that if you have an Audi, youīre rich. (nonsense!!!)