TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

glove box door

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glove box door

Hi all,

Newbie glad to be here. Love my '03 tt, but have some annoying bitchy little ankle biting sort of problems, to wit:

Glove box door that won't pull in locking bin on rt. side. Put a screw in to hold it in so that when I close it only the lft. side pin holds it shut.

Also, 90% of the time the damned thing goes open past the stop and I have one hell of a time getting it back shut. As an aside, whoever designed that box did have gloves in mind...1 pair of summer gloves.

I checked on the price of a replacement and don't feel so bad about the National Debt anymore.

Does any one have a fix for the one resident in my dash?

Got other problems too (tt), but most blogs like for you to list them one at a time.

Thanks for lookin'
Old 02-24-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Don't have an answer but it could be worse

Originally Posted by AUDItorium
Hi all,

Newbie glad to be here. Love my '03 tt, but have some annoying bitchy little ankle biting sort of problems, to wit:

Glove box door that won't pull in locking bin on rt. side. Put a screw in to hold it in so that when I close it only the lft. side pin holds it shut.

Also, 90% of the time the damned thing goes open past the stop and I have one hell of a time getting it back shut. As an aside, whoever designed that box did have gloves in mind...1 pair of summer gloves.

I checked on the price of a replacement and don't feel so bad about the National Debt anymore.

Does any one have a fix for the one resident in my dash?

Got other problems too (tt), but most blogs like for you to list them one at a time.

Thanks for lookin'
The glove latch on earlier TTs broke just by looking at it. As you are finding out, you have to replace the entire box. Last time I checked it was almost a grand new. Have you tried used from a junk yard?

Read the FAQ here to learn more about your car and required maintenance, particularly the crucial timing belt. Fourtitude.com - Audi TT FAQ
Old 05-12-2022, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would chime in with a little help if possible.
when the latch is forced, two small tabs [ plastic] that make up the hinge points will break and then the latch falls out. Can be repaired by disassembly of the box and carefully drilling a hole thru the latch mount and using a machine screw as the new hinge point.

the reason the latch bars don't both open,is they are connected in the center by a small gear and when one bar gets blocked/bound then the small [4mm] plastic shaft for the gear breaks off.
you can either drill a hole where the pin broke off and then put a screw from the fuzzy [inside] to use as the shaft for the gear or get a 4mm x 10mm flat head [countersunk screw and epoxy it in place where the pin broke off, you may have to carefully countersink the gear slightly to insure it rides correctly in the teeth of the two latch bars. The small support guides [ L shaped] that the bars ride on also hold the springs that retract the bars and if broken the spring will be loose in there, I bought some small nylon L shaped pieces to epoxy onto the plastic as guides and will drill a tiny hole to attach the spring.

i am attaching a link to a latch repair [ not mine] but I have yet to take pics of the guide repair/gear repair but will as I now have two boxes completely apart as my original blue has no latch and my replacemet black one has the latch but the guide bar gear pin was similarly broken off. and the tiny L shaped guide that held the spring was broken .Luckily both springs were in the assembly and I was able to locate the gear and spring to repair it. the blue one will need a replacement spring, i measure the spring at .23" x 1" so I will be trying to find a simple small extension spring to make this a good box for someone, just wish I had a latch for it

here is the latch repair pic site: https://public.fotki.com/blackfnTTru...001.html#media
lo
again all credit goes to the guy that made the pics and link posted, I just dont want to drill thru the fuzzy of the inner glove box lining so Im going to epoxy the flathead as the pin for the gear

hope this helps

Last edited by stingray230sx; 05-12-2022 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TTfan61 (04-21-2023)