TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Headlight not working.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight not working.

Hi. I got a bulb warning light come on. Changed the D2S xenon bulb and still nothing. Swapped over the bulb from the other side and still no go. Has anyone come across this fault before and maybe found a solution?? Many thanks.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

It's either wiring or the ballast. Have to inspect and if you see no obvious wiring issue, swap the ballasts side to side and see if that solves. Some pictures of the assemblies in the link below showing where the ballasts are.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...light-2897403/
Old 02-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ta. Is the ballast the metal box attached to the headlight unit with the lightning sticker. Also, i assume i have to remove the car's front panel?? Appreciate your help.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes with the little lightning bolt. I will caution that getting to them is not the easiest...
Old 02-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gonna go for this tomorrow and will update on progress. Might come in handy for someone in the same boat. Thank you for your help Lyleswk.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
It's either wiring or the ballast. Have to inspect and if you see no obvious wiring issue, swap the ballasts side to side and see if that solves. Some pictures of the assemblies in the link below showing where the ballasts are.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...light-2897403/
I just repaired my driver's side low beam (HID) tonight. For two years the light would only come on when it was in the mood. I swapped bulbs and then ballasts side to side with no improvement. I ended up removing the headlights and swapping the igniter side to side. No change.

I then noticed the insulation on the wires internal to the headlight assembly were cracked and missing in places. In order to make sure there were no internal shorts I baked the housings to open them up and wrapped all of the damaged wires in electrical tape. Now all of the lights behave. Hope you find an easier fix!
Old 02-23-2017, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your help guys. It all went swimmingly until i discovered the last two screws holding the front panel on. They were between the outer wing and the inner so a small gap.Very corroded and would not shift. Ended cutting the heads off with a hacksaw blade held with a rag. Took over an hour to get them both!!. Swapped ballasts but no go. I was thinking of way to get into the headlight unit and even contemplated cutting an inspection hole in it's base with a hole saw. Decided against incase i made matters worse! I noticed if i played about with the 2 wires coming from the bulb holder it would work so, obviously a bad connection. I loosened them from the metal clip that holds them and pulled them tight and clipped them in again like that. That was 2 weeks ago and still working fine. Time will tell!! Not a job for the faint hearted but not really difficult either. I'm intrigued about "baking" the units open rriicckk?? Again, thank you guys for your hints and help. Always much appreciated.