TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

HELP! DSG issues - car jerks when driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! DSG issues - car jerks when driving

here are the symptoms, but take note that I have no proof that the 3 events are related.

Engine Reved up to 4500RPM makes a sharp metallic screech. I know noises are hard to describe, but it is is very high frequency/ High order. It sounds like the noise is moving at 4500 RPM. Sometimes the noise can be heard it as low as 3000RPM. The noise is high pitch but its not exactly loud. If I didn't point it out to someone driving the car, they might not notice it. It is also short. Once the RPM goes up the noise will go away. The noise is very RPM driven. It is not MPH driven. So to summarize: as you increase in RPMs. There is no noise, than for a brief second around either 3000, 4000, or 4500 RPM, a sharp noise is heard, and then as the RPMs continue to go up the noise is gone. There is no fade to the noise. It is on/off only. The noise happens in every gear. The noise does not happen when the car is parked - it needs to be moving. I've noticed this for maybe 3 months. The noise is always there. I have no idea if the noise is related to the below issues. I had been thinking it could be power steering

Last week, I noticed a burning smell. It almost smelled like a campfire. I cant say it is the same smell as burning a clutch in a "true manual". I also was pretty sure I felt the clutch slipping towards the very end of the drive. This was the only time I smelled something. Can you smell a wet clutch burn? Would it smell different?

The next day after noticing the smell, I felt the "jerking". It was probably 500 miles of driving after the smell. The car will jerk and it is usually when going up a hill. I would say low RPMs, maybe as if the car in automatic mode is selecting a gear that is too high for what it should and is causing an engine lugging. When the car jerks you can feel it. The RPM needle will also flutter couple thousand RPMS. It will then continue to happen.. So the car jerks then you go maybe 20 feet and it does it again, It will do it up to around 7 times or so and maybe ends just because the conditions change. I'm not sure if this is true, but I felt like keeping the DSG in manual mode was a good way to prevent this. I hardly ever noticed it in manual mode, I kept the RPMs up around 3000+. I cant say it is easy to reproduce, but I haven't really tried. It seems to happen after driving for about 15 minutes. It has happened now multiple times though, and is clearly a problem. There are no abnormal noises when the car jerks.

Codes copied from dealer report:
g182-transmission input speed (rpm) Sensor( RG.37)
17100 0 p0716 input turbine/speed sensor "a" circ. range/performance (tbd intermittent)
g509-clutch oil temperature sensor
1842 12 p1740 clutch temperature monitoring (electrical malfunction in circuit intermittent)

The dealer said that the whole transmission needs to replaced. This judgement is based on the error codes and the fact that when It is ran on the lift, they said they can hear metallic noise that is most probably the same noise I hear when driving.

I am doubting that the whole transmission needs to be replaced, and that this could either be a clutch issue or other component issue. Can you guys tell by the description what is wrong? Do you have some good ideas on what is wrong? What do you think about the dealer telling me that the whole thing needs to be replace? Also, let me know if I should post this on any other forums, or other places that will point me in the right direction. I am located in the greater Detroit area. THANKS!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Dealers do not open up these automatic transmissions, only the manuals. They install rebuilt ones (by Audi) and your old one gets rebuilt and then put back in the reman transmission inventory.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this^
Old 07-21-2015, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Dealer parts departments will sell a reman transmission to you if you can R&R it yourself. It will save you the labor costs. There is a hefty core charge but that gets refunded when you return the core.