TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

HELP temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP temperature gauge

Hi everyone, I'm Thomas and I'm new to the forum. I'm Italian and I just moved to California and bought a 2001 TT 1.8. I apologize for my english but I need some help with this problem.

The problem that I found is basically that the temperature gauge is not reding correctly. The needle starting position in between 0 and the half, and after a while it sets in the spot between the half and the maximum. I had it checked and they said that the engine temperature was not that high and that the sensor is not reading correctly and also the gauge is not communicating the correct temperature...

They also sayd that to change the gauge, I would have to take the car to an Audi Mechanic and that the total cost of the repair is gonna be around 1100.

When the car was there to be inspected they also noticed that a hose broke in that moment, but anyway they said that it was craked. So of course I need to replace the hose.

They also suggeted to change the sensor cause it had a little leak itself.

I really didn't get he whole situation very well cause of so many technical terms that are of course different in my language....I could upload the mechanical report if could help you gguys interpretate the situation.

Please someone help me out!

thanks

Tom
Old 05-30-2015, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Some information

Originally Posted by thomas dee ross
Hi everyone, I'm Thomas and I'm new to the forum. I'm Italian and I just moved to California and bought a 2001 TT 1.8. I apologize for my english but I need some help with this problem.

The problem that I found is basically that the temperature gauge is not reding correctly. The needle starting position in between 0 and the half, and after a while it sets in the spot between the half and the maximum. I had it checked and they said that the engine temperature was not that high and that the sensor is not reading correctly and also the gauge is not communicating the correct temperature...

They also sayd that to change the gauge, I would have to take the car to an Audi Mechanic and that the total cost of the repair is gonna be around 1100.

When the car was there to be inspected they also noticed that a hose broke in that moment, but anyway they said that it was craked. So of course I need to replace the hose.

They also suggeted to change the sensor cause it had a little leak itself.

I really didn't get he whole situation very well cause of so many technical terms that are of course different in my language....I could upload the mechanical report if could help you gguys interpretate the situation.

Please someone help me out!

thanks

Tom
First, do you know any of the service history of the car? If the thermostat has ever been replaced, it might be the incorrect thermostat that is causing it to run slightly hot. The temperature guage is pretty sensitive and it does not take much change in temperature to move beyond the normal spot which is exactly half way. There have been some reports of the engine running hotter even when the thermostat was replaced by one manufactured by the OEM company Wahler. This happened to me and went away when I replaced the thermostat with a genuine Audi part.

Second, has the timing belt, water pump, and any associated parts been replaced in the past 5 years or 60K miles. If not, you are driving a time bomb whereby the timing belt and/or water pump will fail and destroy several valves and maybe pistons along with it - a $5K+ repair if it fails. If you don't know and can't find out, then get it done imediately - about $750 at an indy shop including parts. Most folks thing the DeiselGeek timing belt replacement kit is the best and it includes a new thermostat. A failing water pump could also be the source of your higher temp. While that is being done i would have them replace any old radiator hoses and the temperature sensor.

Replacing the temp sensor yorself is very easy and there are several DIY guides on this forum as well as Fourtitude and Quattroworld. There is also DIY information on how to read coolant temperature using your radio display.

Third, the car could be running hot because one of the switches to each of the two fans has failed.

Finally, are your other gauges working well? If not, the source of your problem may be a instrument cluster failure. Again do a search on the forums to find out where to send it to get rebuilt. You can not just change one guage. They are all on one circuit board. $1100 sounds very high to remove/refurbish the cluster. I'd check someone else who knows the TT.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 05-30-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My 2001 had its original (since redesigned) black-top temperature sensor and it read hot and erratic. A cheap new green-top fixed it.

As Vegas-Roadster mentioned, the timing belt / water pump job is critical. If you're not sure, get them replaced... Now.

Last edited by miamisam; 06-02-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: colors backwards
Old 06-01-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thank for your inputs

I know for sure, because it got tested by my mechanic, that the car is not actually running at those temperatures but actually it's running at the correct temperature, the gauge is kind of measuring everything as it was +1/4 (of the gauge) hotter than it is (even though you can't rely too much on this thing...).

Anyway I'm replacing the sensor and change the cooling fluids today, let's see if I'll have the same problem. They said that they might be unrelated issues, but anyway combined it would have been kind of risky to drive cause you would never know if something was wrong.