TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Hi, newcomer here

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, newcomer here

Just want to say hi to everyone on my first post and hope some will have the time to help me with info on buying a Mk1 3.2ltr TT?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Read the link first

Originally Posted by Foxspeed
Just want to say hi to everyone on my first post and hope some will have the time to help me with info on buying a Mk1 3.2ltr TT?
Fourtitude.com - Audi TT FAQ

Most folks who have the 3.2 love the engine, even though it is more nose-heavy that the 1.8 engine. I'd look for one that has not been customized because it would be less likely to have the DSG launch feature abused. There have been a few reports of timing chain stretch on high mileage 3.2s
Old 09-22-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the swift reply.
Yes I fully understand what you are saying and it's something to look out for (seen a few with boy-racer stickers on etc), I live in the UK and wanting a 2004/5 model but not too bothered about the mileage as I will only be doing no more than 4,000 miles per year.
I already have a 2004 Audi A4 130tdi Sport with the Multitronic gearbox and love it but the missus has decided to use that instead of the MGTF that I bought for her! Women eh?
Anyway, the TT will be my little toy for commuting to work and back and would appreciate any pros & cons of these cars. I have a very knowledgeable friend who used to work for Audi and fits quite a lot of timing belts in our town for people so having a new one isn't an issue. He's just done the A4 with a complete service.
So, manual or DSG? I am not 'too' bothered although I prefer the auto box but I am a little concerned if things went wrong with it. Are they reliable if unmolested? The gearbox ECU went on my A4 shortly after buying it but was lucky enough to have it part paid under warranty!
What things should I specifically look out for when buying one?

Many thanks, and sorry for the basic questions but I am a newbie to the TTs.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Can't provide a good answer on trannies

The Mk 1 3.2 was only sold in the US with DSG. It was offered with a manual on the Mk 2 3.2 here but are relatively rare. Have not heard significant complaints about either tranny. The standard wisdom is that enthusiasts prefer the manual even though the DSG has faster acceleration.