TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Horn wont go off when i press on the steering wheel, please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn wont go off when i press on the steering wheel, please help

So i noticed that my horn wasnt working about 3 days ago, ive been looking online for any threads that can help me but there isnt much info on this. I already checked fuse #40 and its perfect. I also hear a click when i try honking but it doesnt sound the horn. So next thing that i'm going to check is the horn relay... Does anybody know where its located? Any advice would be appriciated. I have a 180 TT non quattro
Old 06-05-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Standard Automotive & Automotive Electrical System troubleshooting techniques apply here.

Before just posting for an answer for a problem that can have several causes, none which we can help with unless we are with the car (I charge for troubleshooting in person BTW); Do a few checks first.

Since you hear a "click", that tells me your horn button and wiring are good up to the horn relay under the dash board (side note, horn relay is either under the dashboard or in the engine compartment-see a service manual for this detail, you need to buy one to effectively do any work on this vehicle).

Next, you access the horn itself. Again, the service manual is so darn handy to show you exactly where they are located and every fastner required to remove so you don't break a tab on some composite material that will then require replacement of a panel and maybe even painting it the body color. Once at the horn, you connect a volt meter to the terminals and verify if +12 VDC is present when horn (steering wheel) button is pressed.

If not, trace wiring back to horn relay and verify continuity (If you don't know what this means, stop, get training on this or at lest read a book about it) of the wires. If wiring is good, the relay is likely bad but you can test it. Again, standard automotive electrical troubleshooting techniques apply.

If 12 volts is present at the horn when you press the button. you likely have a bad/internally rusted horn. Best to replace but you can spray the heck out of the internals with WD-40 to maybe limp it along for a short while.