TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Looking For A Mint Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For A Mint Roadster

I'm in search of a mint condition roadster, Grey, Green or Blue, must have optic leather, less than 50k miles, manual, AWD, one or two owners, all books, records and maintenance history. No paintwork, no winter use or DD. Garaged and covered. PM or email me with details at jfawsitt9@yahoo.com if you know of anything that fits the description.

Thanks,

JF
Old 07-30-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default I'd do an advanced search on cars.com

Originally Posted by jfawsitt
I'm in search of a mint condition roadster, Grey, Green or Blue, must have optic leather, less than 50k miles, manual, AWD, one or two owners, all books, records and maintenance history. No paintwork, no winter use or DD. Garaged and covered. PM or email me with details at jfawsitt9@yahoo.com if you know of anything that fits the description.

Thanks,

JF
Search every week or so. I see cars that fit your description every now and then there. You can get maintenance records from you local Audi dealer service manager. I don't think the optic baseball seats were offered in blue. They were offered in green, nimbus gray, and lake silver. 2002+ MY are less problematic. Replace the timing belt etc immediately if it has not been done in the past 5 years.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your reply.

How much should I expect to pay for the timing belt replacement at an Audi dealer?

Is there anything else I should be looking at regarding model specific problems?

Asking prices see to be all over the place, am I right in thinking the nicest cars sell for between $12k-$15?

The only car that caught my eye so far was this one:

Cars for Sale: Used 2004 Audi TT in 1.8T quattro Roadster w/ 225hp, Salem NH: 03079 Details - Convertible - Autotrader

Thanks,

JF
Old 07-30-2016, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers

Thanks for your reply.

How much should I expect to pay for the timing belt replacement at an Audi dealer?

Is there anything else I should be looking at regarding model specific problems?

Asking prices see to be all over the place, am I right in thinking the nicest cars sell for between $12k-$15?

The only car that caught my eye so far was this one:

Cars for Sale: Used 2004 Audi TT in 1.8T quattro Roadster w/ 225hp, Salem NH: 03079 Details - Convertible - Autotrader

Thanks,

JF
I have not priced the TB etc replacement recently. Look on the DeiselGeek web site which most folks believe sells the best parts kit for TB etc replacement to see what is involved. It's a lot of stuff in addition to just the TB. My guess is that a dealer will charge around $1,500 and having an indy shop install the deiselgeed kit would be less than $750 for kit and labor.

Read this FAQ about Mk 1 issues Fourtitude.com - Audi TT FAQ
In addition to the TB maintenance, make sure all the gauges in the dash work. The temperature gauge should read exactly in the middle. Look for missing pixels in the central display. A few missing pixels is common but a lot would indicate the dash panel is on its last legs and will need to be rebuilt. Also make sure the glove box latch works perfectly (primarily an issues with the 2000 and 2001 MY). You can not just replace the latch. You have to replace the entire glove box for $1000!.

The price on the car you linked seems about right but it does not have the optic seats you want. To get the car you want you will have to do a national search (within all miles of your zip code) and be very patient. It typically takes me 3-6 months to find the TT I want to buy. Baseball optic seats are very rare. I've never seen official numbers from Audi but based on the TT events I have attended, only about 10% of Mk 1 roadsters had that option. Be aware that black baseball seats were offered late in production and I would estimate that only about 1% of roadsters had that option.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, I will be patient for the right car and do national searches weekly. Funny you should mention the black optic leather, this car has it but too many miles for me and the ask is too high, usual dealer stuff. I would prefer to buy privately from a fist or second owner.

Cars for Sale: Used 2005 Audi TT in 1.8T quattro Roadster w/ 225hp, Lowell MA: 01851 Details - Convertible - Autotrader
Old 07-31-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The black baseball looks much better in person

Thanks, I will be patient for the right car and do national searches weekly. Funny you should mention the black optic leather, this car has it but too many miles for me and the ask is too high, usual dealer stuff. I would prefer to buy privately from a fist or second owner.

Cars for Sale: Used 2005 Audi TT in 1.8T quattro Roadster w/ 225hp, Lowell MA: 01851 Details - Convertible - Autotrader
Personally, I think black seats in a convertible is a very bad idea, particularly in the South. Like driving around in a frying pan. However, the vast majority of convertibles come with black seats. Combine my dislike of black seats with my dislike of black and dark gray paints and suddenly 90% of convertibles are eliminated from my consideration which is why it takes me so long to find a good used TT.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you could try looking around on the other forum, you know the one that begins with a Q. Some of the old timers there are in the process of moving some of their cars.