TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

DIY Timing Belt Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Timing Belt Questions

I've decided to do the timing belt replacement myself.

I ordered the kit from Dieselgeeks and reviewed the excellent writeup on the internet but I have two dumb questions.

I got an engine support bar, where do I attach the support chain to the engine? Is there an obvious attachment point?

You have to confirm TDC at the transmission inspection hole. Where exactly is the transmission inspection hole located? Again is this obvious once I'm working on the engine?

Anyone else who has done their timing belts - any advice?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you have to ask these questions, you are heading for disaster. This is one job you should not try unless you have done it before with somebody else who knows what they are doing. One small mistake will destroy your engine. Trust me. I destroyed the engine on my 1985 Maserati Biturbo by trying to replace the water pump myself. I had the timing belt off by one tooth, and it was costly. I do almost all the maintenance on my TT myself, but last month when I needed timing belt service, I took it to the pros. This is not the place to save money. Ciao!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I replaced my timing belt. It took about 10 hours but everything went well. The old timing belt looked OK but the old tensioner was worn. The transmission flywheel inspection hole is above the transmission on the driver's side of the engine. I supported the engine with an engine support bar linked to a point on the engine. However, when I had to replace the engine mount I had to jack the engine from underneath to get the alignment correct.

Overall not a bad way to spend a day.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lawnerd
So I replaced my timing belt. It took about 10 hours but everything went well. The old timing belt looked OK but the old tensioner was worn. The transmission flywheel inspection hole is above the transmission on the driver's side of the engine. I supported the engine with an engine support bar linked to a point on the engine. However, when I had to replace the engine mount I had to jack the engine from underneath to get the alignment correct.

Overall not a bad way to spend a day.
Nice job and congrats! I am so pleased to hear you were successful in spite of the exceptionally poor advice you received. You obviously have experience and the tool to get the job done.

So, what's next on your TT list?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After the timing belt, I changed the oil, changed the haldex oil and filter, and replaced the brake fluid.

Next up is new brake rotors and pads. Should be a piece of cake after the timing belt.

I love my little rat car.