TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Lost my only key away from home

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A dealership will have the right machinery to make a new key for you. The cost will depend on the year, make, model and type of key. If you have an anti-theft transponder key, the dealer will connect a machine to your car’s onboard port and erase the old key information and program a new transponder key with new coding information.I have no experience with Locksmith service.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Find a local Locksmith by searching online or asking for word-of-mouth recommendations. An experienced, reputable, and skilled locksmith will be able to make you a new key and help you reprogram the key. Plus, locksmiths have more sophisticated machinery than hardware stores and they charge less than dealerships.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Not just any locksmith can provide a replacement Audi key service. Modern Audis have keys encrypted to the specific car and must be coded using the latest security technologies. Only those locksmiths certified by Audi (or Audi dealers) and have the required equipment can provide a working replacement key.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think you should agree with the suggestions provided by all regarding Locksmith.They are professionals and make you new key.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Last year I bought a 2009 TT. It only came with one key and looked very worn. I brought the car in to the dealer and they ordered a new key for me. Several days later I went back to dealer and they coded the new key to my car. I've been using the new key since without issue. Do yourself a favor and get the dealer to make a new key and keep that one made by key smith as a backup. I didn't get as good a deal as others though, it cost me about $250, but I'm still very satisfied with the end result.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is an old thread that got revived. I ended up keeping the key that the locksmith got for me as a backup and cloned this key to a flip key that I got off of ebay. This was a while ago, so I'm not sure about the exact procedure, but with the VAGCOM tool and some sort of code that I got from the dealer, I was able to program the new key. I have since sold the car, but the ebay flip key worked perfectly. Actually when I replaced my gauge cluster (LCD died), I was able to re-pair the key that the locksmith gave me and that one ended up working fine too. I wouldn't have thought that a key could just "kind of work" but that is what it seemed like.
I got the ebay key cut by a locksmith and they weren't all that happy with me after cutting it, apparently it wreaked havoc on their machine. It worked though!

I don't understand why you guys are all so sensitive about these key issues. They're really not all that bad. We're all DIY'ers, and I tend not to listen when told to fork money over to the dealer. Basically all you need is a key that turns, and then to program the cluster to accept that key. If you're missing a code or something that you need, ask the dealer nicely and it's pretty likely they will help you out.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You may try dealer instead of Locksmith.When i lost the only key of my car then i contacted the dealer near my house and he gave me new key.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That's a really big problem that you have lost the only key to your place.Now the only solution is to get a spare key from some nearby Lewisville Locksmith and get some help.