TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Lots of Questions about my TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of Questions about my TT

Hey guys, so I got plenty of questions about my 2000 180hp FWD TT like how it should be running, what I can do with it, and how I should maintain it.

1-How durable is the 1.8t?
2-How does one go about lubricating the suspension and the rest of the car?
3-How is this car for tuning? I learned its a bit of a tight fit after replacing my starter :P
4-So valves vs cylinders?
5-Would it be possible to do a 2 stage turbo setup in this car?
6-How long should I warm it up for in the Winter? (-20 - 35 degree Fahrenheit average)
7 - Whats this giant pipe for?

It looks empty...

8-Where do I find maintenance schedule. (Car didn't come with manual)
Yeah that looks like its all for now. Thank you to the people who answer.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As long as you keep an eye on oil pressure/level, the 1.8t should last quite a while. Low oil pressure is what usually kills these engines. Do not drive the car if oil light is on.

2-How does one go about lubricating the suspension and the rest of the car?

If you're referring to the bushings, if they're squeaking you probably want to replace them. They get a bit of grease on the inside where the sway bars meet. Not sure what you mean about the rest of the car.

3-How is this car for tuning? I learned its a bit of a tight fit after replacing my starter :P

You'll get used to it.

Not sure what this means- if you break a timing belt, your valves may meet your cylinders. Usually the valves lose.

5-Would it be possible to do a 2 stage turbo setup in this car?

Do you mean a sequential twin turbo setup? It's possible, but you better have a v6 in there to go along with it. Your 1.8 will never move enough air to justify having 2 turbos when a properly sized turbo has minimal lag and can produce all the air a stock motor can handle. Good luck finding room for a second turbo as well...

6-How long should I warm it up for in the Winter? (-20 - 35 degree Fahrenheit average)

I've always been told that when your coolant is up to temp, you're good to go. Just take it easy on the car until then. I've never "warmed up" a car, I just go easy until it's safe. But then again I live in so cal.

I believe that's the crossover pipe between the 2 intercoolers on the 225 model, but I can't be 100% sure.

8-Where do I find maintenance schedule. (Car didn't come with manual)
Yeah that looks like its all for now. Thank you to the people who answer.

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...enanceSchedule
Old 12-03-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The engine and tranny are workhorses

Originally Posted by crono35

As long as you keep an eye on oil pressure/level, the 1.8t should last quite a while. Low oil pressure is what usually kills these engines. Do not drive the car if oil light is on.
Lots of cars with 100k+ miles and original clutch still going strong. Many with 150K+
Old 12-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure what this means- if you break a timing belt, your valves may meet your cylinders. Usually the valves lose.
What I mean't by this is since the TT has 5 valves per cylinder on 4 cylinders, equaling to a TTotal of 20 valves, would it be able to match lets say another car that has 8 cylinders but only 2 valves per cylinder?

I believe that's the crossover pipe between the 2 intercoolers on the 225 model, but I can't be 100% sure.
But I have the 180?

Time to get an oil pressure gauge...

Lots of cars with 100k+ miles and original clutch still going strong. Many with 150K+
Mines got 126k running on it now. Hope it doesnt die anytime soon. Clutch is going bye bye cause I sort of drive it hard. (Still stock clutch)
Old 12-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Reaper
What I mean't by this is since the TT has 5 valves per cylinder on 4 cylinders, equaling to a TTotal of 20 valves, would it be able to match lets say another car that has 8 cylinders but only 2 valves per cylinder?

But I have the 180?

Time to get an oil pressure gauge...

Mines got 126k running on it now. Hope it doesnt die anytime soon. Clutch is going bye bye cause I sort of drive it hard. (Still stock clutch)
Increasing the valves doesn't increase displacement... all it means is that there's one extra exhaust valve per cylinder IIRC.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Oil Pressure

I would just keep an eye on your oil level, simple maintence, just check every few weeks, if it low fill it up xD