TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Needles in dial cluster not illuminating

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needles in dial cluster not illuminating

Re: TT MK1 2002

The dial cluster is working OK but the needles on the speedo and rev counter do not light up .... please can anyone advise how to change the bulbs in the cluster to sort

Many thanks
Old 07-04-2016, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by deliajane
Re: TT MK1 2002

The dial cluster is working OK but the needles on the speedo and rev counter do not light up .... please can anyone advise how to change the bulbs in the cluster to sort

Many thanks
They are surface mount LED's. Remove the cluster and disassemble to access. Then you need surface mount soldering tools to R&R.

I find it hard to believe they all went bad. Likely there is a connector problem or wiring issue or blown fuse. Or the power from the headlight switch is missing. Unless your fuel and coolant temp lights are working. If they are, the problem is in the cluster. Likely a broken trace or ribbon cable issue.

Best to remove the cluster and send it to Tannin in Racine, WI for then to quickly repair.

As far as removal instructions, use the proper service manual for the procedure.

Edit: just re-read and realized it is needles only. Likely in the cluster but not 100% sure. Use wiring diagram in service manual to troubleshoot. Use standard automotive electrical troubleshooting techniques to verify & isolate.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 07-04-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi - Thank you very much for your message .....

I have double checked and the needles which aren't illuminating are the speedo needle, temperature gauge needle and the fuel gauge needle. (so the needles can not been seen in the dark)

Everything else and the other lights on the cluster are working OK - I have checked the fuses and these are OK

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
They are surface mount LED's. Remove the cluster and disassemble to access. Then you need surface mount soldering tools to R&R.

I find it hard to believe they all went bad. Likely there is a connector problem or wiring issue or blown fuse. Or the power from the headlight switch is missing. Unless your fuel and coolant temp lights are working. If they are, the problem is in the cluster. Likely a broken trace or ribbon cable issue.

Best to remove the cluster and send it to Tannin in Racine, WI for then to quickly repair.

As far as removal instructions, use the proper service manual for the procedure.

Edit: just re-read and realized it is needles only. Likely in the cluster but not 100% sure. Use wiring diagram in service manual to troubleshoot. Use standard automotive electrical troubleshooting techniques to verify & isolate.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:06 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by deliajane
Hi - Thank you very much for your message .....

I have double checked and the needles which aren't illuminating are the speedo needle, temperature gauge needle and the fuel gauge needle. (so the needles can not been seen in the dark)

Everything else and the other lights on the cluster are working OK - I have checked the fuses and these are OK
Thanks for the mention @MisterBally! We can definitely check the cluster out for you if you can send it in to us. Here is the link to the repair service:

Audi A4 A6 S4 TT Allroad Gauge Cluster Rebuild

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,