TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New here... possibly looking to buy

Old 05-27-2016, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here... possibly looking to buy

So long story short I just came from a 700+ horse 2014 mustang GT.
I still have the car but I just took the blower off and sold it because I'm ready to try something new.

I heard these cars are a good platform, but details weren't given.

What year and model should I pick up to make a beast out of? I know I'm going to get flamed for asking and not searching, but how much power do the stock internals hold both motor and trans? It will mainly be a roll race/drag racing car if I pick one up.
Are they expensive to mod? Comfortable to drive?

Just looking for the inside scoop from knowledgeable people on here that know the platform. Wanting to know exactly what breaks first at what power etc etc etc.

Thanks for any information, it looks like a car I wouldnt mind doing a build on.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Some answers

Originally Posted by justinsorders@live.com
So long story short I just came from a 700+ horse 2014 mustang GT.
I still have the car but I just took the blower off and sold it because I'm ready to try something new.

I heard these cars are a good platform, but details weren't given.

What year and model should I pick up to make a beast out of? I know I'm going to get flamed for asking and not searching, but how much power do the stock internals hold both motor and trans? It will mainly be a roll race/drag racing car if I pick one up.
Are they expensive to mod? Comfortable to drive?

Just looking for the inside scoop from knowledgeable people on here that know the platform. Wanting to know exactly what breaks first at what power etc etc etc.

Thanks for any information, it looks like a car I wouldnt mind doing a build on.
First, are you aware there are three significantly different iterations of the TT depending on model year? The Mk 1 covered in this forum has the most tuner items/sources because it was by far the best selling and although the 1.8L engine was sold in most Mk 1s in 2 HP versions, the engines had a lot of similarities. Look a few threads down in this forum, second page in my browser, for the "what is the difference between engines" thread. Also read this FAQ about the mk 1 Fourtitude.com - Audi TT FAQ

A dedicated "Race car" and "comfortable to drive" are mutually exclusive.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. The Audi TT is the best drive for the money you'll ever drive. I also gave up a Mustang too. Best selling car in the world no doubt,but........... It's mostly show. The audi TT (convertible) is a car that'll have you waiting in anticipation for your next drive.
There cheap, and easy to maintain. Get one that has some nice exhaust, tires, chipped, tuned correctly and is clean. Under 10K
The only negative I have found is that the car needs to be "spooled" up to get that instantaneous response that makes driving fun. This car has to be revved up to work right. Its not "step on the gas a fly". Enjoy
Old 05-28-2016, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Beautiful looking cars. A real head-turner since you don't see them every day. Especially the lower volume colors.

Here's Ballykid's '03 MK1 with new Conti DW shoes....
Attached Thumbnails New here... possibly looking to buy-5-27-16.jpg  
Old 06-01-2016, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Beautiful looking cars. A real head-turner since you don't see them every day. Especially the lower volume colors.

Here's Ballykid's '03 MK1 with new Conti DW shoes....
SWEET!!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree. My son (it's his ride) said just the other day, something like "if I don't drive it for a while, I realize how much fun it is to drive". He just graduated college and is chilling until he moves to his new home up in the great Northwest, so doesn't drive it everyday. I enjoy driving it too even though my S5 is much more powerful...
Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, which year/model is the best to modify?

Are they easy to get in to the 10s?

^ Manual or Auto?

How much power can it hold, motor and tranny at stock levels?
Old 06-02-2016, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I will leave the best answers to the family Bally, but I think if you start with the 225 hp 1.8t, you will be better off. I would look for one that has full records over any particular year. I got my son's a year ago for 10K. Finally, as you can tell from my profile, I prefer manuals...