TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

new owner, lots of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new owner, lots of questions.

Hi guys, just got a 2002 quattro tt... i know nothing about these cars lol it has some mods but i dont know anything about them yet. i hate to be the newbie but i'm completely in the dark with this car.

there is nothing for power until the boost kicks in, is that normal?
what are some mods i can do to make it a bit more fun?

i dont have a budget but i already have some fast cars so not worried about making this a race car just a little more then it is already. i was thinking a bigger turbo, header and down pipe, front mount intercooler and injectors if needed.

is this a good thing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/122006738693?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
would those do it?

any recommendations to a new owner. it has had a lot of maintenance recently done to it and again sorry for the newbie questions and sorry if they are lame but thought i'd ask.

these are the things done to it so far
coil overs
tune
apr exhaust

Name:  image4_zpsfrgorn40.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  195.6 KB

Name:  image1_zpstxe3izxv.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  215.6 KB
Name:  image3_zpsio5vcpf2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  266.4 KB
Name:  image5_zpstab9swov.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  177.0 KB
Name:  image6_zpsd5db0r8n.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  145.1 KB
Name:  image7_zpszs0b20k9.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  183.8 KB
Old 08-03-2016, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

wow no one even said hi... i thought the porsche forum was tough
Old 08-03-2016, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Do you have a 180 (single exhaust) or 225 (dual exhaust) horse engine?

Do you know what tune it has?

I have a 225 engine and yes you definitely have to wait for boost or keep it in the boost to enjoy. Once in the boost, the car is a fun.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Do you have a 180 (single exhaust) or 225 (dual exhaust) horse engine?

Do you know what tune it has?

I have a 225 engine and yes you definitely have to wait for boost or keep it in the boost to enjoy. Once in the boost, the car is a fun.
i feel like a total moron here but i dont know. everything i'm reading about this car is so stinking confusing it says the quattro and it does have dual exhaust.

the quick story is i just got it last night from a guy who got it 7 months ago with a bad clutch. it sat at the trans shop for ... 7 months lol had the new clutch put in and it went straight to me from there. so he didn't know much about it either. so i dont know the tune. i dont even know what that defi thing mounted on the lower dash is.

not trying to get anyone to do my homework, just would be nice to get some arrows in the right direction. I've been reading up on stuff all day here at work and everytime i think I'm getting somewhere it turns out i'm reading about a different kind of audi lol

i can spend money on this car .. i just dont know what to by. ko4 turbo keeps popping up. what all would i need for that? i am handy with motors.. i'm just out of my element with this car from the start. i'll catch up
Old 08-04-2016, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If it is dual exhaust, then I am 90% sure it is a 225hp and if so already has a K04. Sounds like you need to spend some time making sure all of the components are working properly, like diverter valve, look for vacuum leaks, etc. I had a bad diverter and vacuum leak that once fixed changed the car. Keep in mind it is a 1.8 liter 4 cyclinder. The Bally father / son duo have a lot more experience than I do on these cars and can maybe provide some other info.

One other question: do you know what the controller under your A/C is for?
Old 08-04-2016, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

everything is working like it should. the car just had a go through from the mechanic when they did the clutch last week.

that controller just messes with the gauges(boost/oil temp) on top of the dash. i might pull that out of there. never been a fan of shift lights/beeps. if you need a light to tell you when to shift... well lol

I've got a ton of stuff in my ebay watch list to buy but I'm waiting till i learn more about the car before purchase. i have down pipe, turbo(franken ko4 turbo) and header, injectors, intercooler, new stereo system, random trim pieces that need to be replaced. I'm just not learning as much about this car as i usually do when i buy toys like this. maybe I'm just not using the right words to search for info on audi tt's but I'm just not getting much.

thank you for chiming in, i greatly appreciate it. again sorry to anyone whos reading this and rolling there eyes at my ignorance... I'm trying to do my homework
Old 08-06-2016, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Just see if a speed limiter kicks in at 130 or 135. If not, your ECU has been tuned.

Larger down pipe is all you need along with maybe a cat removal. Also a higher performance Turbo |Blow Off Valve/ Diverter Valve (stock option for vehicle) is mandatory. Otherwise the stock one can fail without warning when you drive the car hard.

See this thread my my son of his '03. There are pics of a larger down pipe. Also further down is what you would not see on the speedometer if the stock North American engine ECU program was in place on yours. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...story-2901563/

Last edited by Mister Bally; 08-06-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Just see if a speed limiter kicks in at 130 or 135. If not, your ECU has been tuned.

Larger down pipe is all you need along with maybe a cat removal. Also a higher performance Turbo |Blow Off Valve/ Diverter Valve (stock option for vehicle) is mandatory. Otherwise the stock one can fail without warning when you drive the car hard.

See this thread my my son of his '03. There are pics of a larger down pipe. Also further down is what you would not see on the speedometer if the stock North American engine ECU program was in place on yours. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...story-2901563/
Thank you for sharing
Old 08-08-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy a vag-com
Old 08-08-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mobsTTa
buy a vag-com
Have no idea what you just said lol is that a product for monthly girl issues? Lol newbie to audi here... Gotta explain what that is.

Brian

Quick Reply: new owner, lots of questions.