TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New user, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New user, some questions

Hi all

I just purchased a used TT (2001 Roadster Quattro); it was too good as deal, so I picked it!

I have the car since a week; but I have some questions regarding the car; and searching trough the forum didn't really cleared up my doubts, so I decided to rely on your knowledge to figure this out.

1) The car has no manuals; where can I buy them? Audi USA has none, Ebay has some for the coupe version only, not the roadster, and I am aware that there are no pdf version of the manuals (fun fact: you can find freely "Sherlock Holmes" books, but can't find a owner's manual for a car )
I am a follower of the RTFM movement; but sadly I can't comply since I have none. I know how to operate the basics, but I would like to know more about the car, how to properly maintain it and such.

2) I was told that the car has problems with the top switch; which is defective, that results in the car showing the light for the top not correctly closed on the dashboard. Is this true or it just require some work to be fixed? Mine does that sometimes.

3) the car has an aftermarket stereo; is there any advantage in put back the original radio system? And are they still selling those? Dealership said no.

4) Which one are the major issues to look for? The car looks nice, drive nicely and has 100K on it, I have no mainteinance records whatsoever, so I would like to know what should I do to keep it running nicely.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Some answers

Originally Posted by mrTTlover
Hi all

I just purchased a used TT (2001 Roadster Quattro); it was too good as deal, so I picked it!

I have the car since a week; but I have some questions regarding the car; and searching trough the forum didn't really cleared up my doubts, so I decided to rely on your knowledge to figure this out.

1) The car has no manuals; where can I buy them? Audi USA has none, Ebay has some for the coupe version only, not the roadster, and I am aware that there are no pdf version of the manuals (fun fact: you can find freely "Sherlock Holmes" books, but can't find a owner's manual for a car )
I am a follower of the RTFM movement; but sadly I can't comply since I have none. I know how to operate the basics, but I would like to know more about the car, how to properly maintain it and such.

2) I was told that the car has problems with the top switch; which is defective, that results in the car showing the light for the top not correctly closed on the dashboard. Is this true or it just require some work to be fixed? Mine does that sometimes.

3) the car has an aftermarket stereo; is there any advantage in put back the original radio system? And are they still selling those? Dealership said no.

4) Which one are the major issues to look for? The car looks nice, drive nicely and has 100K on it, I have no mainteinance records whatsoever, so I would like to know what should I do to keep it running nicely.

Thanks!
#2 The top switch is located in one of the holes that the top fits into on the driver side. If it is intermittent, just adjust it.

#3 The basic OEM sound system was lame. The Bose upgrade option was too expensive for what you got. Stay with the aftermarket.

#4 I have made several posts in this forum about this during the past year. The following is copied from a thread further down on this page.

The car you are considering was my first TT (different colors). I used it as a daily driver. If you have never owned a roadster, consider the limitation of only 2 seats. More than any other car, roadsters are sold soon after they are purchased or have low mileage because you can only take one person with you. Most folks find out too late that limitation does not work with their family/friends lifestyle.

Next, read the first few pages of this FAQ Fourtitude.com - Audi TT FAQ

Here are the main issues you must consider mechanically. Most important is that the timing belt, tensioner, water, pump, and associated parts MUST be replaced very 5 years or 60K miles. If this has not been done to this car, then tow the car (I'm not kidding) to your mechanic to get it done before you drive it. There is no way to inspect for potential failure and when it goes it will cost you $5K+ to repair the destroyed engine. Cost for doing this at an indy shop is about $750 (have them use the DeiselGeek kit) or double that at a dealer. If you don't believe me, do a search on this and other Mk 1 TT boards to read some real tales of sorrow of folks who had a failure on the way to the mechanic.

Another item that must be done by date instead of mileage is coolant. Assuming this has not been replaced either, I would replace the coolant, top and bottom hoses, and thermostat.

I would also replace the AWD haldex transaxel fluid.

Given its age, vacuum leaks associated with engine operation are common. Make sure there are no check engine codes or have the dealer fix them before you buy.

Next, inspect the dash display and make sure all gauges operate correctly (temp should be exactly in the middle when warm). Make sure most of the pixels in the center display are functioning. If there are problems, the entire dash must be removed and refurbished because it is a single circuit board, about $600 at an indy shop.

There were multiple recalls for the 2001. Check to see if they were performed.

Finally, make sure the glove box latch works and locks perfectly. It was very fragile on this year TT and costs over $1000 to fix (really).

It is a great car but you must be aware of issues that may exist due to its age and lack of proper service. The drive train is extremely reliable with many folks having 150K on the ticker on the original components, including clutch.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I will keep the aftermarket stereo then; I would like to replace it thou, with something more modern...it is still a 12 years old stereo. IS there any preference about a radio that is cheap and has the basics ? (Bluetooth, MP3, USB and so on).

I will also check the switch; if the issue is purely a LED that goes off, I can live with it; although it may cover a potential issue if the roof is not correctly closed.

I believe that the timing belt was replaced; I need to stop by at the dealer for a full print out of the services done. The dealer had no previous records from the previous owner; so sadly, there is not really much to do, beside go to the mechanic and actually have him replace what you suggested.

Thanks again for the summary; I know what to look for now. I just need to figure out where to get the manuals now; I know where the windshield fluid tank is, but beside that; I have no idea about anything else (like where you put the oil; what is the oil type, how to read the dipstick, maintenance and so on).
Old 01-25-2015, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, the dealer told me that I can't have the info about the car because I am not the previous owner....is this normal?
I was told that the secondary pump and timing belt were replaced, but beside that; they can't give me any info.

Should I try with a different dealer?

I tried to set up the switch; but I don't get exactly how it gets triggered sometimes, while others it doesn't. I have to open and close it few times, until it finally see the top closed and turn off the dashboard light. It is not a matter of how the top close; since I see that it goes down in the same way; when I rotate the handle. It must be a matter of millimeter.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the top is closed, but showing open, put a piece of duct/electrical tape (or a couple or more layers) on the switch. Or adjust it. very common
Old 01-26-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will likely, sooner than later, have to replace the PCV hoses as they will all be cracked, and the vacuum hoses (ditto), and likely the turbo hoses.. anything rubber will have to be replaced.

I just replaced the lower control arms (with uprated ECS tuning arms) as the bushings in them were pretty much destroyed.

get under the car and under the hood. unless it was replaced, replace anything rubber

engine/trans mounts, again, unless replaced, will need to be replaced, and the exhaust downpipe/cat converters (unless it was replaced) as the soft engine mounts vibrate/flex the downpipe to pieces

stay ahead of the curve doing pro-active maintenance, before stuff breaks and becomes an emergency, and your ownership experience will be a lot better!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lexx
stay ahead of the curve doing pro-active maintenance, before stuff breaks and becomes an emergency, and your ownership experience will be a lot better!
I couldn't have said it better.
little by little, just buy all the vacuum connectors and just do them all in one day, same goes with everything else. sway bar bushing front and back or you might be hearing squeaks.
when I did the suspension I changed everything ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, bushing, the struts and mounts, omg like a brand new car.
but don't worry lots of diy's online.

Last edited by iflywoe; 01-26-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Ask the Service Manager at another dealership

Originally Posted by mrTTlover
So, the dealer told me that I can't have the info about the car because I am not the previous owner....is this normal?
I was told that the secondary pump and timing belt were replaced, but beside that; they can't give me any info.

Should I try with a different dealer?

I tried to set up the switch; but I don't get exactly how it gets triggered sometimes, while others it doesn't. I have to open and close it few times, until it finally see the top closed and turn off the dashboard light. It is not a matter of how the top close; since I see that it goes down in the same way; when I rotate the handle. It must be a matter of millimeter.
Your dealer is bogus. My Audi service manager has done this for me for every TT I have bought. There is no reason why they can not verbally tell you what service has been performed and when. There are no privacy issues as long as the prior owner's personal information is not revealed. Go to another, more reputable, dealer.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your suggestions; I have found the switch and indeed, it was a 2 seconds fix. I wrapped 2-3 layers of duct tape on top of the switch; and now when I close the top, the light goes off and the windows close correctly.

Sadly I have limited info about what was changed; I have few parts that I am sure where replaced (timing belt, cylinder head gasket, cylinder bolt set and expansion tank cap); the carfax show some info but not much really.

I will try with another dealer...all that I inquired about, was a list of the repair and recall done; no info about previous owners and such, so I have really no idea why was I denied such simple request.

I would love to replace things, if only I knew "what is what" I have no manuals, so I am basically without any clue. I see a bunch of pipes made of rubber; which I assume are the ones related to turbo and secondary air pump? Also is there a specific place where to buy replacement parts, or any auto store sell them?

Is it hard to replace the bushing and the mounts that you mentioned? My skillset is not really that high; I can change oil and such, but I am nowhere near being able to disassemble or drop an engine/tranny
Old 01-27-2015, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the repair manual in pdf and the tt quick guide, let me know if anybody can host the files somewhere.

Quick Reply: New user, some questions