TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

NOOB - looking for maintenance tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NOOB - looking for maintenance tips

Hi,

I just purchased a 2001 TT quatro cabrio and will be driving it in the Northern Virginia/Washington DC area as my day to day driver.

Can you point me where I can find all the required maintenance items are listed? And good sources for hints and tipa?

My TT has 53,000 miles on it and is in fab condition. I'd like to keep it that way!

Thanks!
Russ
Old 02-12-2017, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

See the owner's manual and maintenance log. If the prior owner didn't supply them, buy them from Audi. Either on line or at a dealer. Also, invest in a service manual/All Data subscription. You'll need the Ross Tech diagnostic interface as well.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you Mr Bally!

Which service manual do you recommend?

Is this the OBDII software and connector you recommend: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

I currently use Torque on my mobile phone paired with ELM327 bluetooth connector to access OBDII info. Is it really worth spending the $200 for the 3 VIN Ross-Tech? Looks like cool software, but...

Thanks again for the advice!
Russ
Old 02-13-2017, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RussAdams
Thank you Mr Bally!

Which service manual do you recommend?

Is this the OBDII software and connector you recommend: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

I currently use Torque on my mobile phone paired with ELM327 bluetooth connector to access OBDII info. Is it really worth spending the $200 for the 3 VIN Ross-Tech? Looks like cool software, but...

Thanks again for the advice!
Russ
Yes, well worth the expense.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Bentley was the official supplier of the Mk 1 repair manual. It is only available on an expensive CD which sucks IMO because I don't like having my laptop in the garage to do repairs. Has the timing belt and associated parts been changed in the past 5 years? If not, the car is a time bomb for a $5K+ repair because the valves are zero clearance. Get it done NOW! Be gentle with the glove box latch. It is relatively fragile and the part is about $1000. Read this FAQ http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...44-Audi-TT-FAQ

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 02-13-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Vegas!

I have a pretty thorough CarFax, and at 50K there were belts replaced... but it does not explicitly specify timing belt. The shop is listed in the CarFax so I'll contact them and see if they can tell me. I purchased a service contract, will be interesting to see if they will pay to do it or not.

I'll see if I can find a Bently manual on the bay.

Appreciate your input!!!

Picking up the car this week. Bought it Saturday, but there were a couple things I wanted the dealer to fix first.

The ESP light would go out when I started the car, but would then come on and stay on while driving. Dealer thinks it is a sensor. I've not pulled codes, my bad!

Thanks again!

Russ

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Bentley was the official supplier of the Mk 1 repair manual. It is only available on an expensive CD which sucks IMO because I don't like having my laptop in the garage to do repairs. Has the timing belt and associated parts been changed in the past 5 years? If not, the car is a time bomb for a $5K+ repair because the valves are zero clearance. Get it done NOW! Be gentle with the glove box latch. It is relatively fragile and the part is about $1000. Read this FAQ Fourtitude.com - Audi TT FAQ
Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

eBay has the Bentley manual for $88. Amazon has them listed at over $100. I see that CD manual out there for over $100 also. I like printed manuals.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Careful with a second hand manual CD; they are encrypted and you get one user code and one backup code. Backup code only works if you can supply original purchaser information to Bentley Publishers....
Old 02-13-2017, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Careful with a second hand manual CD; they are encrypted and you get one user code and one backup code. Backup code only works if you can supply original purchaser information to Bentley Publishers....

THANK YOU for the warning! I have a couple online manuals that I've found to be a pain to use. I ordered one of the print manuals off the Bay. Hoping it's not a cheap xerox.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Forgot about the user code - good catch

Originally Posted by RussAdams
THANK YOU for the warning! I have a couple online manuals that I've found to be a pain to use. I ordered one of the print manuals off the Bay. Hoping it's not a cheap xerox.
I hated my Bentley CD manual and these days many laptops do not have a CD/DVD reader. I'd rather have a poor quality print version than a CD.

Quick Reply: NOOB - looking for maintenance tips