TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Oil in Turbo Inlet (?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in Turbo Inlet (?)

Let me start off by saying that I am in no way as well-versed in my car as I wish to be. If I get terminology wrong, or if I call something the wrong name, please excuse it and correct me.

So I have my car in the garage right now as I was replacing the windshield washer reservoir, as well as getting a good look at my high pressure line for the power steering (unfortunately, broken). I took off the turbo inlet hose (is that what it's called? ) and noticed what looked like oil sitting right where the hose meets the pipe (see picture). I'm assuming this is out of the ordinary, and would just like to know more about this situation (what caused it, possible fixes, etc.). For what it's worth, the turbo seems fine, other than one peculiar problem. At high speeds and WOT, my boost gauge will drop about 10 PSI, then a few seconds later, will go back up (any input on this?). I changed the oil yesterday, and haven't run the car much since then (in fact, just in and out of the driveway).

I bought the car used wanting to fix it up, and I'm not sure at all what modifications were done to it (though I know there is some).

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

That oil is nothing to be concerned about. They all do that.

Take care of your power steering issue. Unfortunately, if the pump ran dry for more than 10-15 minutes, you may need to replace it.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point you will have oil in all your intercooler hoses (and in your Intercooler(s). I never knew much about them, however an oil "catch can" is very helpful to keep that from happening. I just ordered one for my TT's replacement (A5).