TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT Front Shock Strut Mount Replacement- Do It Yourself Or Go to the Dealer???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT Front Shock Strut Mount Replacement- Do It Yourself Or Go to the Dealer???

Hi,

I just purchase a very clean(like new) 2000 TT from friends of ours with 53k. The only concern I have with the car is the groaning noise I here from the front over slow bumps. The service writer at the dealer thinks it is probably the upper front shock Strut mounts and bearing. I have ordered the parts from Autohaus, but am curious if this is a go to the dealer or do it yourself project. I'm a reasonably capable shade tree mechanic with a decent supply of tools, including a spring compressor.

If anyone has tackled this task and cares to share the procedure it would be very much appreciated. Since I paid cash for the car and I also own an Allroad I'm somewhat motivated to provide my cheep labor vs. the $125.00 per hour that the dealer gets. I already feel like I own part of Niello's new Audi facility!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 09-05-2008, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Its not DIY or Dealer... its DIY or Indie!!!!

Plus the dealer will never let you bring your own parts
Old 09-05-2008, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it's the front swaybar bushes, dealers replaced under warranty and the dealer should know. >

there's simple fixes for it, also, if they won't swap it out - check the forum faq's.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Very DIY
Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The strut bushing will groan and creak too. >>

Spray some WD40 on the sway bar bushings. It will VERY temperarily get rid of the noise. At least you'll know which it ease. Never heard of a recall on the sway bar bushings, just a tech notice.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default he said on slow bumps >

that's specific to the SWAYBAR, and because the bushings on it crack; it was a known problem and under warranty the dealers replaced the entire swaybar - I had it occur, NUMEROUS forum members had it occur - do a search if you want.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1697347.phtml">here's one link - the operative words are "common problem"</a></li></ul>
Old 09-06-2008, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default my dealer...

does let me bring my own parts...
Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No sh*t about the sway bar.

I didn't say it wasn't the sway bar just that it could also be the strut bushings. They can make noise when going slowly that can't heard when moving faster.

Something that is fixed under warranty doesn't make it a recall. If you're out of warranty you're outta luck.

I gave him a simple thing to try to determine wheither the sawy bar was the problem.

Take a pill and relax. You are not the only right person in the world.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah >

I realized the use of the word 'recall' was incorrect, that's why I changed it. And while it's always possible there is another cause, in this case the odds are so high I hate to have someone steered down the wrong path - or even a rabbit trail... - particularly when they've already gotten wrong info from the dealer, they're about to be out money, and they don't know any better. So yep, I did get up cranky, I guess - sorry to come off brusque.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 AM

the dealer here is actually cheaper than the euro indie

Quick Reply: TT Front Shock Strut Mount Replacement- Do It Yourself Or Go to the Dealer???