TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Passenger Window Erratic Closing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Window Erratic Closing

Hi peeps,

First time here and thought I'd see if anyone can help!

I have an Audi TT 1.8 2005 model. The passenger side window opens fine, but is having problems closing.

When I first tried to close the window, it wasn't closing at all, I did the reset thing that others have mentioned (turn on the ignition, open windows all the way, close them, then hold the switches in closed position for 5s, and turning off the ignition).

Now what's happening is that the window is closing, but it stops in 2 places on the way up. Each time I have to let go of the switch and hold again to make it go to up. The window stops in exactly the same positions each time too.

This happens if I use the window switches (driver side and passenger side) and also when I do it from the key in the door.

I have lubricated the window 'channels', thinking it might be some friction, but this doesn't help.

If I pull the window by hand as it's closing it goes all the way up (I did this as a test to se if it would work).

So, there's something that's causing it to stop at those points, but not sure what!

Any pointers / help most appreciated!

(As a side note, the window does drop slightly, when the door is opened, and goes back up when closed, which is normal - thought I'd mention in case it's relevant)

Cheers,
Taz
Old 07-13-2015, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll be interested to hear from others on this, I am having the same symptoms from my drivers window. I am guessing the regulator. Like you I pulled the door card off, and lubed up the channels to no avail.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the bentley paper manual, which of course I can't find right now. It's not the standard up down hold button thing, it's a process to readjust the pinch mechanism, uses a piece of wood to stop the upward movement to reset it.