Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi TT / TT-S / TT-RS > TT (Mk1) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 03:41 AM   #1
Account #: 115466

Default Possible to remove radio without keys?

My flasher relay is dead. I have a new one and I am ready to put it in. However somewhere along the line the headunit in my car has been subject to some unholy abuse or 'shadetree mechainc' and the radio relase tabs are effed. I spent an hour at a local stereo shop trying without sucess to release the headunit with the "official radio removal tool" directly from Audi...
Is there another way to get this out? At this point I don't even care if I have to destroy the factory headunit. But before I do I would at least like to know that if it comes to that, I will be able to remove it. I don't relish the idea of a broken headunit that is also permanantly stuck...

I need turn signals more than I need a radio...help please.
peruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:52 AM   #2
Account #: 110867

Default I had trouble getting mine out after I knocked one of the release tabs out of alignment.

I would get two thin 1/8" steel strips(so they don't bend too much), cut them as they are on Jeff's DIY radio tool writeup. See if you can torque them hard enough (pushing both makeshift tools away from the headunit so the tips press inwards onto the hu) to get some friction while you pull. This will probably be a huge pita, but if you get it to budge at all, keep at it and you'll get it eventually. I wrestled with mine for 20 or 30 minutes before it gave way.
ttrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 AM   #3
Account #: 110867

Default And here's the link to Jeff's TT site.

ttrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 48863

Default I had the same problem recently...

Thought my release tabs were screwed up. I tried yanking inward with tools I purchased off eBay.

Events:

2005 TT-East (TN)
2005 WaterFest (NJ)
2005 TT-Mid West (IN)
2007 TT-East (SC)
2007 WaterFest (NJ)
2008 QDM (NC)
2008 TT-East (WV)

and a few ModShack pilgrimages!

My toyz:

2001 - Audi TT Quattro Roadster
2006 - Lexus IS350
2007 - Hummer H3 (sold)
TTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 63654

Default you can try to take off all the center console craps and then press the tabs on the side to release

the HU. are you sure 100% sure that you're using the keys correctly. Also if this is your first time pulling the HU, you might have to apply a little bit of force. my stubborn HU was putting up a fight for about 2 hours but i finally got it out. my fingers hurt like hell but i come out on top

good luck

Jake
Cruzad3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 AM   #6
Account #: 56973

Default I took my lower dash out and was able to push the radio out from the back

then again, my arms are pretty scrawny and also ended up finding every piece of sharp, unprotected piece of metal while I was back there, but it worked.

I used Jeff's writeup to make some tools with a pair of wire cutters. I had similar problems with one of the tabs on the radio where it wouldn't respond to the tool.
TTempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
Account #: 78082

Default If you can get a pick or a hook of some sort in the CD/Cassette door and help pull it may help.

Had to do that on mine, needed some extra persuasion.

TT_Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 80527

Default Stop by the stealer and ask them if they will unseat it for you.

Drive it home with the radion hangin out by 1/2" and then do your work.

If you've got a good dealer they'll take care of you for no charge.
Forced Induction: GT3071R-WG-86AR-90TrimTurbine, DelRio Race Intercooler, DelRio BT Piping, Evo VFlo+ B5 S4 MAF, APR Bigport Intake ceramic coated, R32ThrottleBody, CoolingMist WaterMeth, larger injectors, fuelpump, etc
DP-Exhaust: FastIntentions Custom 3”DP and Cat / test pipe section, BlackSheep Custom 3” cat back section with magnaflow resonator
Suspension: VF Eng Mounts, KWV3+upratedfrontsprings, GroundControl C&amp;C Plates, SpericalBushings ControlArm+Defcons+Poly, RearCamberBars, Uprated SwayBars
Brakes: StoptechBBK 355 x 32 mm
DriveLine: HaldexBlue + PeloquinRearLSD, SouthBendK70287FE
Misc: Zeitronix EGT/WBAFR/Boost, Oil Temp/Pressure, Setrab oil cooler and oil filter relo, adjustable FPR/fuel pressure gauge
Cosmetics: OSIR Fenders, SGI Carbon rear, 5PointHarness, race seat, custom front splitter, Black UFO, Black PC ValveCover, clear corners

TTransport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 73514

Default I've had Circuit City pop it for me a couple times for free. Now I have the keys.

TT Offset Calculator FAQ thread
Seneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
01, a4, a6, audi, b5, head, key, keys, radio, removal, remove, s4, stereo, tt, unit