TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Possibly buying a 2005 TT and have some questions. (Also, first post!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying a 2005 TT and have some questions. (Also, first post!)

Hello everyone,
As the title states this is my first post on the forum, and I'm possibly purchasing a TT and had some questions about the car before I purchase it.

I'll start by saying that I was able to test drive the car today so I was able to get a feel for it and see if there was anything wrong with it. There were two main issues that I noticed with the car, and they were
  1. There was a random squealing noise that would appear at random times. When I asked about it he said that there was too much gas and that was affecting the AC compressor. He showed me paperwork for the compressor and verified with me that there was a relatively new compressor in there (about a month old). He released some of the gas and the noise stopped.
  2. The speedometer sat below zero when the car wasn't moving, and had to climb above zero when the car began moving. I believe that the speedo was 10-15mph lower than it should have been reading.

So my questions to those of you who know the car well are these:
  1. Was that squealing noise actually an AC problem from the sounds of it? And if so will what he did permanently fix the issue or will it return later? If not, what do you believe the issue is?
  2. Is there any way for me to adjust the speedometer back to 0 and have it stay there?
  3. Is there anything else that you think that I should look for in the car tomorrow? Any common problems or even not so common problems that occur with the 2005 TT?

For clarity it's a 2005 automatic TT coupe, the 180hp variant, with ~94k miles.
Thank you all so much for taking time to respond to my questions. It really does mean a lot to me!

(I also have been googling these things and searching through various forums, I just haven't found answers that I'm comfortable with. This is a [B]car[/B ]that we're talking about. I don't want any issues in something that I'll be risking my life in daily.)
Old 08-28-2015, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Read this FAQ

Originally Posted by wantfryswiddat
Hello everyone,
As the title states this is my first post on the forum, and I'm possibly purchasing a TT and had some questions about the car before I purchase it.

I'll start by saying that I was able to test drive the car today so I was able to get a feel for it and see if there was anything wrong with it. There were two main issues that I noticed with the car, and they were
  1. There was a random squealing noise that would appear at random times. When I asked about it he said that there was too much gas and that was affecting the AC compressor. He showed me paperwork for the compressor and verified with me that there was a relatively new compressor in there (about a month old). He released some of the gas and the noise stopped.
  2. The speedometer sat below zero when the car wasn't moving, and had to climb above zero when the car began moving. I believe that the speedo was 10-15mph lower than it should have been reading.

So my questions to those of you who know the car well are these:
  1. Was that squealing noise actually an AC problem from the sounds of it? And if so will what he did permanently fix the issue or will it return later? If not, what do you believe the issue is?
  2. Is there any way for me to adjust the speedometer back to 0 and have it stay there?
  3. Is there anything else that you think that I should look for in the car tomorrow? Any common problems or even not so common problems that occur with the 2005 TT?

For clarity it's a 2005 automatic TT coupe, the 180hp variant, with ~94k miles.
Thank you all so much for taking time to respond to my questions. It really does mean a lot to me!

(I also have been googling these things and searching through various forums, I just haven't found answers that I'm comfortable with. This is a [B]car[/B ]that we're talking about. I don't want any issues in something that I'll be risking my life in daily.)
Fourtitude.com - Audi TT FAQ

It's the things you can't see that you should worry about. As the FAQ says, the timing belt etc needs to be replaced every 60K or 5 years or risk a $5K+ repair when it fails. The speedo is not adjustable, the dash cluster probably needs to be rebuilt which is another common issue with the Mk 1. I have no idea about thr squeal.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My first post too (just got my own 2000 TT 225 6 spd ex-Japan so only 55,000km (33,000miles))

My car has a squealing sound too. Oh...it's my wife trying grab the Oh S__t handle and there isn't one. Anyone know where to buy one of those handles!

Per Vegas-Roadster's comment, I put an ECS kevlar timing belt kit in this weekend. Better safe than sorry! Definitely ask if they've done the belt yet.

Bertible

2000 TT
2006 530xit
2002 VW Rialta
2004 BMW 325xit (for sale)
Old 09-03-2015, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Letting gas out of the AC system *****-nilly certainly did not fix anything, and would run the red flags up high if I were considering the car. Speedo, as previously mentioned will require a cluster rebuild, google search there are several places that do so. As others have mentioned, get maintenance records and check to see when timing belt was done last, and by who.

The other thing I would look for is a standard trans, a lot more fun driving, and less potential issues. Read through the forum here, do searches for things that concern you, a lot of good information to be had.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As others have said, timing belt , AC pully, Alternator , battery , the usual stuff at 75k miles make sure u have good fans , ac and main fan, alot of overheating issues due to fans going bad. change water pump if plastic or chipped. instrument cluster screen , dead pixels.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please help me I want information on this design and Source the original

Please help me
I want information on this design
and Source the original
Old 02-21-2021, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The following users liked this post:
bqvwvpd (08-16-2022)
Old 02-21-2021, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Please help me I want information on this design and Source the original

Please help me
I want information on this design
and Source the original

bqvwvpd (08-16-2022)
Old 02-21-2021, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

bqvwvpd (08-16-2022)
Old 02-21-2021, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member