TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Power window issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window issue

Hello, I recently bought a 2001 Audi TT 6 speed 225HP. I bought is knowing both windows didn't work so I was prepared to do some digging into them. Here is what I have got so far; 1) There is power at the motors at the red/green and the black when the key is turned 2) There is no power at either switch (I assume there should be though?) but the switch tests fine with a continuity test. 3) All the fuses and relays are good including the thermal fuse 4) I have pulled the ccm and inspected it and it doesn't seem to have any corrosion or dry solders. I have the wire diagram and saw that several wires ran through here so thought it would be good to check it. 5) I do not know if the motors are good because I don't know how to test them, can they be tested outside the car or anything?

Also other symptoms that I've noticed include, Center dome lights don'r work at all but the bulbs and fuses are good and the fuel and temp gauges are erroneous. Figure I mise well list these too incase they correlate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-28-2015, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fluidparkour75
Hello, I recently bought a 2001 Audi TT 6 speed 225HP. I bought is knowing both windows didn't work so I was prepared to do some digging into them. Here is what I have got so far; 1) There is power at the motors at the red/green and the black when the key is turned 2) There is no power at either switch (I assume there should be though?) but the switch tests fine with a continuity test. 3) All the fuses and relays are good including the thermal fuse 4) I have pulled the ccm and inspected it and it doesn't seem to have any corrosion or dry solders. I have the wire diagram and saw that several wires ran through here so thought it would be good to check it. 5) I do not know if the motors are good because I don't know how to test them, can they be tested outside the car or anything?

Also other symptoms that I've noticed include, Center dome lights don'r work at all but the bulbs and fuses are good and the fuel and temp gauges are erroneous. Figure I mise well list these too incase they correlate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Don't think, or rather I would be near certain the fuel and temp gauges are not related, that is a common problem fixed by an instrument cluster rebuild. Google places that do the rebuilds, I used module master, they did a great job and fast turnaround, there are other reputable rebuilders though.

Sorry I cannot really provide any insight into the window issue. I would rely on others with better electrical trouble shooting experience. Seems like you covered a lot of the obvious.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

03 AR CO, Thanks for your input. I looked into the cluster rebuild.

Anyone else have any suggestions about the windows?
Old 10-16-2015, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

There has to be a way to apply 12 volts to the window motors themselves to see if the motors are bad, two of them being bad seems like too much of a coincidence though. On my '85 5000s, the cable runs between the door and chassis were bad, insulation on the wiring had failed from movement, pull the boots and examine that too. Actually I've seen the same on several cars I have had, '97 A6 wagon, the rear hatch wiring harness, same frayed insulation, resulting in a dead short, same on a 2002 volvo wagon. So its worth a look.

I will continue to give some thought to the electric troubles.

Last edited by 03_AR_CO; 10-16-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi im having issues with my 2004 Audi A8 both of my front suspensions drop just 2” off the ground I change the compressor a webco bread and nothing happened can it be my relay me replacement the whole time?