TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Rear Control Arm Bushing Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Control Arm Bushing Removal

I am in the process of doing a rear suspension refresh on my 2001 TT 225 and am having problems with the control arm (Bentley Transverse Link) bushings. They are the original ball joint bearings. Typical DIY techniques did not budge them. Can anyone recommend a press kit that has worked for these bushings? I would like to avoid taking the trailing arm off and bringing to a press.

Thank you,
Paul

Last edited by bluefin; 01-31-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

If the Bentley service manual shows special tools, did you buy them from Zelenda or Baum? If not, you'll need them. If you have them and they did not work; the only answer I can think of is a hydraulic press. My Harbor Freight 12 ton model and set of arbors (under $200.00) has paid for itself ten-times over in five years.

One final note; on the rear control arms on a Quattro TT; I thought those bushings are bonded in and not replaceable. The whole control arm must be replaced. That's what Ballykid did on one of his (2003 225 HP model). Price for one was more than the cost of the Harbor Freight press. It is what it is.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 01-31-2016 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mister Bally, Thank you for the reply.

If I understand correctly the rear control arm bushings on the trailing arm side are replaceable. I think the inner side requires replacement of the control arm. I have the new control arm bushings and it appears Audi has gone from a ball joint bushing to a solid bushing for both the upper and lower control arms.

I could not find a tool listed in Bentley or details on removing these bushings. Alldata shows 3 tools required to press them out. (3350 Carrier Bearing Tool, 3346 Support Arm Bearing Tool and a T10030/1 Pressure Piece). Online around $165 for all 3. I was hoping someone had experience with a more generic tool from Schwaben or similar that could be used to do these bushings as well as future bushings. I would rather invest in a more generic tool that I might use on another project.

My understanding of these bushings might be incorrect, so I welcome any feedback.

I love the post of Ballykid in the cold parking garage, I showed it to my two college age sons that wrench their own cars.

Thank you again for the reply.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

as far as I know, the bushing on the trailing arm CAN be replaced, although it is a bear of a job. With a nice heated garage, you should be able to do it with no problem. when ive looked at mine, the biggest pain seemed to just be removing the arm. the rest of the work can be done on a press (also was referencing my Bentley manual for the car) instead of using the special tools. Honestly that's how Mister Bally and I have done all the bushings on my 03'. ill have to check my trailing arm bushings once summer hits as I have a slight clunking noise coming from the back end.

As always, a heated/insulated garage makes or breaks the car and mechanic, no matter how old haha. that power steering job was absolutely miserable.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ballykid, Thank you for the reply.

I agree a press would take care of it. I just did the rear wheel bearings and have not reassembled yet, so my last resort may be to remove the trailing arm and put it in a press. Just a pain with the ebrake cable running through it and attached brake lines, etc.

Agree, heated garages are nice.

Thank you again and your power steering job was admirable and shows a great work ethic.

Paul
Old 05-11-2016, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any new info on this? I just took off my rear control arms to refresh the bushings and realized that the rear refresh kit from ECS does not supply the inboard bushings (non -trailing arm side). They look like they can easily be pressed out with hydro press, so I am not sure why they are not included.

Also, anyone figure out how to get the training arm side (ball joint bushing) out since it is on the hub not the control arm?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update

Just to update. It seems like Audi expects you to replace the whole control arm if the inboard bushing needs to be replaced. Not sure why there is not an replacement part for this. Fortunately, Powerflex offers a 2 piece performance bushing for this, so I think that is the way to go.